Agreement on cards to set up new factory at Singur

October 13th, 2008 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS  

Kolkata, Oct 13 (IANS) West Bengal Transport Minister Subhash Chakraborty Monday said a fresh agreement was ready to be signed between the state government and a corporate house to set up an industry at the Nano project site at Singur - recently abandoned by automobile major Tata Motors following protests. “An agreement will be inked between a corporate house and the state government October 31,” Chakraborty told reporters here, declining to divulge the name of the business house.

Earlier, the senior state Communist party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader said the Singur site would soon be handed over to a car manufacturer.

“Just wait for six months. You will find another car factory coming up there for which we have already started preparations. It will take one to two months for us to sort out the legal complications and administrative matters,” Chakraborty told a private Bengali television channel Sunday.

He said the preparatory work for the factory had already been started.

Asked about the land issue and the farmers’ protest led by opposition Trinamool Congress to get back 400 acres inside the Singur project area, Chakraborty said: “The company, which is coming to set up industry at Singur, is already aware of the ongoing problem.”

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Business |