After condoms, HLL Life Care now turns to sanitary napkinsNovember 7th, 2011 - 7:25 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Nov 7 (IANS) Condom manufacturer HLL Life Care Ltd, which accounts for more than 10 percent of the total global production, is now all set to produce sanitary napkins.
The Thiruvananthapuram-based, ‘mini ratna’ enterprise, under the central government’s health and family welfare ministry, HLL Life Care Ltd’s (formerly known as Hindustan Latex Limited) factory manufacturing sanitary napkins is under construction in Belgaum (Karnataka) and will begin production next year, said its CMD M. Ayyappan.
“According to studies, it has been found out just six percent of the women in the country use sanitary napkins. Hence we are going to supply these napkins to the government which in turn will provide a packet of six napkins at Rs.7,” Ayyapan told reporters here.
“Even though our factory at Belgaum would start production only from April, we will start supplies of these napkins to the government immediately by importing it. We have plans to set up three more similar factories. We have already got an order from the Tamil Nadu government for napkins,” he added.
HLL produces over 1.316 billion condoms annually. Its staple “Moods” brand of condom is available in 19 variants and was adjudged a “super brand” and “power brand” in India.
Over the years, HLL have diversified their line of business from just being a condom manufacturer and have now entered the business of construction, and setting up of hospitals. They are also making a foray into theeducation sector.
- HLL ties up with IGNOU for healthcare education - Nov 12, 2011
- Campaign launched for shy condom buyers - Jul 11, 2011
- Natural gas to power HLL Lifecare factories - Jul 07, 2011
- Female condom yet to gain acceptability - Sep 11, 2012
- Kerala health firm's vaccine project mentioned in budget - Mar 16, 2012
- Condom maker HLL setting up vaccine project - Jan 15, 2010
- Female condom fails to gain popularity - Jul 03, 2012
- Counting beads - a new family planning way for women! - Dec 05, 2011
- HLL Lifecare launches herbal products - Dec 22, 2011
- Moods among top three condom brands in UAE - Jan 06, 2011
- HLL launching affordable diagnostic kits - Aug 07, 2012
- Bihar to provide sanitary napkins at nominal price - Jul 12, 2012
- HLL Lifecare opens one-stop medical outlet in Kerala - Sep 30, 2011
- HLL Lifecare turns to overseas markets - Oct 11, 2009
- Hindustan Latex is now HLL Lifecare - Mar 03, 2009
Tags: ayyapan, central government, cmd, condom manufacturer, condoms, factories, family welfare, foray, global production, Health Science, hospitals, India, karnataka, latex, line of business, moods, sanitary napkins, tamil nadu government, variants, welfare ministry