Africa looking towards India, China: Senegal presidentJune 25th, 2009 - 12:43 am ICT by IANS
Brussels, June 24 (IANS) Senegal’s President Abdoulaye Wade Wednesday criticised European Union (EU) policies towards Africa and said the continent was looking towards India and China for its economic needs, EuAsiaNews reported.
Addressing a press conference in Brussels Wednesday, the Senegalese president accused the EU of isolating Africa and raising barriers against “black Africa”.
“We don’t want the Mediterranean Union to serve as yet another obstacle or separate Europe from Africa. We have to react to this closing off everything from the Sahara to South Africa,” he said referring to the Union which was formed last year to boost cooperation between the EU and North African countries bordering the Mediterranean.
“We are looking to Latin America and India to think more of South-South cooperation. These emerging economies can supply Africa for a long time. This needs to be borne in mind,” said Wade.
He noted that “Africa wants to cooperate with Europe,” but warned that “if Europe closes itself off from Africa, we have India, China, Brazil knocking on our doors to offer us the same thing that Europe has been offering at a better price with excellent conditions involving loans for 15 or 20 years.
“It is a reality that has to be analysed,” he added.
- Ecuador envoy calls for improved South-South cooperation - Feb 14, 2011
- Never say no to Bollywood in Senegal - Feb 13, 2011
- India calls for strengthening of Partners in Population and Development - Apr 02, 2011
- Invest in Indian infrastructure: Kamal Nath to Europe - Oct 13, 2011
- India can lead in South-South cooperation: Visiting Cape Verde minister (With Image) - Jun 05, 2012
- EU seeks mutual solution to India-Italy row - Mar 21, 2012
- EU suggests 'bilateral track' to resolve India-Italy row - Mar 10, 2012
- 'There is no border between India and Africa' - Jun 04, 2012
- EU exports to India hit $28 bn - Sep 18, 2011
- EU wants close ties with India's IT sector - Nov 22, 2011
- EU hopes for resolution of India-Italy row over marines - Mar 13, 2012
- EU-India trade up 20 percent - Jan 20, 2012
- European leaders disagree over China's EU investments - Dec 28, 2010
- Meeting Gandhi, Madam Sheila and Mubarak in Dakar (World Social Forum Diary) (With images) - Feb 11, 2011
- Indian states' finance ministers conclude Europe tour - Sep 17, 2011
Tags: abdoulaye wade, african countries, black africa, brussels, continent, criticised, doors, emerging economies, european union, india china, june 24, latin america, long time, obstacle, president abdoulaye, sahara, senegal, senegalese, south africa, south cooperation