Aerobridge slams into Air India aircraft in Mumbai (Second Lead)May 5th, 2009 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 5 (IANS) In a major breach of safety, an Air India aircraft was hit and its door damaged by an aerobridge at the airport here after 172 passengers had boarded the plane for Mangalore.
No passenger or member of the crew on board IC-179 at the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport here was hurt in the accident, airline officials said.
The accident occurred when the ground staff was withdrawing the aerobridge after passengers and crew had boarded the domestic flight.
But instead of pulling backward, the aerobridge moved forward and damaged the Airbus A321 aircraft door, the officials said.
“We have sent all the passengers by another aircraft around 1 p.m.,” an official said, adding: “For the moment, the damaged aircraft has been grounded. Our team will examine the extent of damage.”
The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) has taken note of the incident and instituted an inquiry into the incident.
“We have derostered the pilot, the co-pilot and the ground duty staff. This is a standard procedure, where officials derostered are taken off duty till an investigation is complete,” said DGCA director general S.N.A. Zaidi here.
- Air India aircraft grounded after being hit by aerobridge (Lead) - May 05, 2009
- Aerobridge slams into Air India aircraft in Mumbai - May 05, 2009
- Air India flight turbulence leaves passengers injured, probe ordered - Jul 26, 2012
- JetBlue captain goes berserk on flight, subdued by passengers - Mar 29, 2012
- Alert pilots save 48 passengers aboard Air India plane (Second Lead) - Jun 10, 2012
- Aborted take-off by Air India Express pilot being probed: DGCA - Jan 27, 2012
- Operations at IGI airport normal after aerobridge operators' strike (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- Jet-Kingfisher aircraft collide, no casualties - Oct 23, 2010
- AI violates safety norms, allows extra passengers on board - Jul 10, 2009
- Coach rams into Go Air plane at Mumbai airport - Dec 29, 2011
- Air India turbulence injures passengers, probe ordered (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Operations at IGI airport normal after aerobridge operators' strike - Apr 13, 2012
- DGCA initiates inquiry into Mumbai Airport incident - Oct 23, 2010
- Hundreds feared dead after Nigerian jet crashes in Lagos - Jun 04, 2012
- Jet hauled up for 'serious lapses', 10 staffers suspended - Aug 28, 2010
Tags: aerobridge, air india, airbus a321, airline officials, breach, chhatrapati shivaji international airport, civil aviation, co pilot, dgca, director general, directorate general, domestic flight, duty staff, extent, ground staff, member of the crew, slams, zaidi