Aegis acquires AOL’s India operationsMarch 31st, 2008 - 11:44 pm ICT by admin
Bangalore, March 31 (IANS) Essar Group’s Aegis BPO Services was acquiring city-based AOL’s (American On-Line) call centre operations for an undisclosed amount, the company said here Monday. The buyout, to be completed by April, will enable the Mumbai-based Aegis to enhance its voice and non-voice offerings in the tech support space.
“Post-acquisition, AOL’s over 1,000 employees will come under our company’s fold. We will provide customer service and technical support to AOL customers, worldwide,” Aegis CEO Aparup Sengupta said in a statement.
As its eighth acquisition over the last two years, Aegis will demonstrate its offshore customer experience management services to AOL and extend its horizontal services to the latter’s clients.
“AOL’s buyout will catapult us to a new level of competence in the tech support area spanning voice and non-voice processes,” Sengupta stressed.
AOL International vice-president Maneesh Dhir said the decision to exit from call centre operations in the sub-continent was in line with the firm’s focus on providing web users the world over engaging, relevant, free and ad-supported content and services.
“We will, however, continue to grow our India portal business and strengthen local operations. The call centre has proven operational and people resources to serve our paying customers,” Dhir noted.
The $200 million Aegis offers services to world’s largest corporations such as American Express, AT&T, Humana, Western Union, Vodafone and a host of other blue chip firms through its 25 delivery facilities in the US and India.
Employing about 19,000 people globally, including 12,000 seats in India, it is ranked among the top 12 offshore BPO firms in the sub-continent.
- British firm expanding back office unit in Karnataka town - Jul 27, 2010
- French firm Altran expanding India operations - Apr 26, 2012
- French firm Altran bets on india for growth - Jul 12, 2012
- Aegis takes over South African outsourcer - Jul 10, 2009
- Indian outsourcing industry to grow 23.2 percent: Report - Apr 12, 2011
- India, China to see growth in BPO sector by 2015 - Aug 22, 2011
- Cairn India and PetroSA deal on oil exploration in South Africa - Aug 16, 2012
- Sify unveils undersea cable landing station in Mumbai - Jan 11, 2012
- Tech Mahindra makes Nigeria as base for Africa - Jul 04, 2011
- Juniper Networks to expand R&D operations in India - Dec 14, 2010
- Tech Mahindra partners Airtel in seven African countries - Aug 12, 2011
- Infosys to expand back office operations in Poland - Sep 06, 2010
- WNS to acquire back office in South Africa - Jun 22, 2012
- Telecom tariffs may rise by 90 paise in metros: Study - May 22, 2012
- Wipro bags customer excellence award - Nov 29, 2011
Tags: acquisition, aegis, american express, aol customers, bpo services, call centre operations, competence, continent, customer experience management, essar group, india operations, india portal, international vice president, management services, maneesh dhir, offerings, portal business, sengupta, support space, web users