Adrift Italian cruise ship towed to SeychellesMarch 1st, 2012 - 3:36 pm ICT by IANS
Victoria (Seychelles), March 1 (IANS) The Italian cruise liner Costa Allegra docked in Seychelles’ Port Victoria Thursday, three days after it lost power some 260 miles off the archipelago’s main island with more than 1,000 people on board.
The ship, towed by a French fishing boat, was met here by the Seychelles Red Cross, which set up several tents to provide aid to passengers, reported Xinhua.
Tourist agencies provided transports to the airport or local resorts for the passengers who are mainly from France and Italy.
The Costa Allegra, which is owned by the company whose giant liner hit a reef and capsized off Italy last month, had a blackout after a fire broke out in the generator room.
A 12-member team, including Costa Cruise vice-president, its executive members and four engineers, have been in Seychelles since Monday to participate in rescue operations led by the Seychelles authorities.
- Italian cruise ship adrift off Seychelles after fire - Feb 28, 2012
- One Indian crew member missing in Italian ship capsize - Jan 16, 2012
- Rescuers blast holes in Italian cruise liner - Jan 17, 2012
- Italian cruise ship may cause environmental disaster - Jan 19, 2012
- 200 Indians passengers of capsized Italian liner returning - Jan 19, 2012
- Italy shipwreck: 23 Indian survivors return to Mumbai - Jan 20, 2012
- Eight more bodies found after Italy ship disaster (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Five more bodies found on wrecked Italian ship - Jan 18, 2012
- Italian cruise ship captain detained - Jan 15, 2012
- Ship's sinking: Captain refused to coordinate evacuation (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Toll in cruise ship accident off Italy rises to eight (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Italy shipwreck: 75 Indians return, rest on way - Jan 19, 2012
- Four bodies found aboard sunken ship - Feb 23, 2012
- Captain blamed for Italy cruise ship accident - Jan 17, 2012
- Boat with Egyptian migrants held in Italy - Jun 13, 2012
Tags: allegra, archipelago, blackout, costa cruise, cruise liner, cruise ship, executive members, fishing boat, french fishing, generator room, march 1, member team, port victoria, red cross, reef, rescue operations, tents, tourist agencies, transports, xinhua