Admiral Gorshkov delivery to India in 2012: RussiaApril 21st, 2009 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, April 21 (RIA Novosti) Russia will deliver the modernised Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier to the Indian Navy in 2012, a senior shipbuilding industry official has said.
“Under an agreement with India, the aircraft will be delivered in 2012. Almost 2,000 highly-qualified workers are currently involved in the overhaul (of the ship),” Vladimir Pakhomov, the president of Russia’s United Shipbuilding Corporation, said in an interview published Tuesday in the Vremya Novostei newspaper.
“We will increase the number of workers and speed up the work, making sure that it does not affect the quality. We are continuing talks with Indian officials about the additional financing of the project,” he added.
The original $1.5 billion contract signed in 2004 between Russia’s state-run arms exporter Rosoboronexport and the Indian Navy envisioned that work on the aircraft carrier would be completed in 2008.
Of the contracted amount, $750 million was for the retrofit of the carrier, docked at the Sevmash shipyard in northern Russia for the past 12 years. The balance was for modern weaponry, including MiG-29K Fulcrum aircraft and Ka-27 Helix-A and Ka-31 Helix-B anti-submarine helicopters.
Russia later claimed it had underestimated the scale and the cost of the modernization and demanded an additional $1.2 billion, which New Delhi said was “exorbitant”.
The Admiral Gorshkov, renamed INS Vikramaditya, is to replace India’s INS Viraat carrier that is currently operational but is now 50 years old.
After modernisation, the Gorshkov is expected to be seaworthy for 30 years.
- Trials of Russia's aircraft carrier for Indian navy in 2011 - Jun 03, 2008
- Russia, India to sign new deal for Gorshkov overhaul - Sep 03, 2009
- Gorshkov launched in water for trials, delivery by 2011: official - Nov 17, 2008
- Russia's MiG starts new batch of fighters for Indian Navy - Aug 04, 2011
- Indian aircraft carrier's sea trials postponed - May 24, 2012
- Russia behind schedule on Indian frigates delivery - Jul 02, 2011
- Russia to deliver five MiG-29K fighters to India - Aug 13, 2011
- Navy to operate Viraat aircraft carrier for another decade - Jan 19, 2011
- Russia delivers naval fighters to India - May 31, 2011
- India's carrier, n-sub programme delayed - Aug 08, 2012
- Pricing issue of Gorshkov brought to a successful conclusion: MEA - Dec 08, 2009
- MiG-29 makes first landing on Indian carrier - Jul 23, 2012
- Russia confirms delivery of Admiral Gorshkov in 2012 - Jul 02, 2009
- Antony says final price of Gorshkov only after completion of negotiations - Jul 08, 2009
- Defence secretary in Russia for talks - Jun 13, 2011
Tags: admiral gorshkov aircraft carrier, helicopters, helix, India, indian navy, indian officials, ins viraat, modernization, New Delhi, northern russia, president of russia, ria novosti russia, rosoboronexport, russia moscow, shipbuilding industry, shipyard, vikramaditya, vladimir, vremya, weaponry