Aditya Birla Nuvo to buy controlling stake in PantaloonApril 30th, 2012 - 7:52 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 30 (IANS) Kishore Biyani-led Future Group said Monday it will spin off its branded apparel business Pantaloons brand into a separate entity, in which Aditya Birla Nuvo will infuse Rs.1,600 crore to acquire controlling stake.
On completion of the demerger process, subject to necessary and statutory approvals, the demerged entity will be automatically listed at the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange, Future Group said in a statement.
As per the deal, Kumar Mangalam Birla-led Aditya Birla Nuvo Limited will subscribe to debentures amounting to Rs.800 crore issued by Pantaloons Retail India Limited.
On completion of the demerger process, the debentures will convert into equity in the demerged entity of Pantaloons format.
Pantaloon Retail India Limited currently operates the ‘Pantaloon’ chain of fashion apparel and accessories stores in 35 cities.
“The proposed acquisition is in line with our strategic intent to be on the top of the league and to create the largest integrated branded fashion player in the country through an extension in to the value segment,” Aditya Birla Nuvo Limited chairman Kumar Mangalam Birla said in a statement.
The proposed transaction is likely to be completed within eight to 10 months, subject to the finalisation of the Scheme of Arrangement, due diligence and statutory and other requisite approvals.
With this acquisition, Aditya Birla Nuvo will have multiple brands, store formats and a complete range across categories - casual wear, ethnic wear, formal wear, party wear and sports wear for men, women and kids.
Launched in 1997, the Pantaloon format is spread in 35 cities with 65 stores and 21 factory outlets covering total retail space of over 2 million square feet.
- Aditya Birla Nuvo to buy controlling stake in Pantaloon (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Apr 30, 2012
- Fact sheet on India's retail trade industry - Nov 24, 2011
- Comments from India Inc. on foreign equity in retail trade - Nov 25, 2011
- Future Group to exit non-core business - Sep 16, 2011
- Yepme to turn fully-online men's fashion house - Aug 10, 2011
- Pantaloons to open 50 new stores within 2-3 years - Nov 27, 2010
- Amid opposition, India declares retail trade open - Nov 25, 2011
- India's retail stocks open strong after foreign equity nod - Nov 25, 2011
- Indian menswear brands holding own against international labels - Aug 06, 2012
- Sensex ends 163 points down, retail stocks cheer FDI policy - Nov 25, 2011
- Malabar Gold group to diversify into retailing of lifestyle products - Mar 30, 2012
- Barbie Apparel's first couture range for girls (With image) - Apr 03, 2012
- Aditya Birla group celebrates 60 years of linen with new store (With Images) - Apr 13, 2009
- 'Global brands can generate jobs in India' (With Image) - May 21, 2012
- Court approves demerger of Essar Shipping, Ports and Logistics - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: 10 months, accessories stores, apparel business, bombay stock exchange, crore, debentures, due diligence, factory outlets, fashion apparel and accessories, formal wear, future group, national stock exchange, nuvo, pantaloon, retail space, rs 800, scheme of arrangement, square feet, strategic intent, value segment