ADB urges Asian countries to undertake more reformsMay 4th, 2012 - 4:17 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, May 4 (IANS) The Asian Development Bank (ADB) Friday urged Asian countries to undertake more reforms to support the region’s long-term growth.
In his speech at the formal opening of the 45th annual meeting of the Board of Governors, ADB President Haruhiko Kuroda said developing Asia must remain vigilant against “near-term risks”.
“There are large challenges ahead as Asia pursues its own transformation but it can continue to drive global growth well into the future,” said Kuroda.
He noted that “inclusive, green, and knowledge-led growth” will be key to ensuring the success of Asian economies in the future, reported Xinhua.
Kuroda also said increased regional cooperation will help Asian countries take up common challenges and seize opportunities.
Philippine President Benigno Aquino III made the assurance that his administration is focused on ensuring the “equitable distribution” of wealth among Filipinos.
Aquino said the government has identified three sectors that will have the “most impact” on inclusive growth: agriculture, tourism, and infrastructure development.
“You will continue to see results; you will continue to see a Philippines that is finally living up to its potential. We are prepared to follow through on our commitments and you are by all means welcome to see if we’re living up to our word,” he said in his speech.
Aquino noted that ADB’s assistance is helping the Philippine government to achieve its economic goals “faster”.
- India, ADB mark 25 years of partnership - Oct 11, 2011
- ADB aid to developing countries tops $21.7 bn in 2011 - Apr 26, 2012
- ADB offers support for quake-hit Japan victims - Mar 14, 2011
- Asian economies more resilient during global crisis than expected: ADB - Aug 19, 2010
- Asia urged to plan stimulus exit to sustain growth - Jan 14, 2010
- ADB assistance increased by 42 percent in 2009: Report - Apr 22, 2010
- ADB, FAO, AND IFAD PARTNER to address food security concerns in Asia, Pacific region - Sep 24, 2010
- Asia represents world's best hope for achieving MDGs: ADB president tells UN - Sep 23, 2010
- ADB 2009 performance on track: Report - Apr 22, 2010
- New Thai envoy vows to further enhance relations with the Philippines - Apr 29, 2011
- Benigno Aquino III sworn in as Philippines' president - Jun 30, 2010
- ADB chief arrives in Dhaka to review socio-economic programmes - Jul 22, 2009
- ADB warns fast-growing Asian economies of middle income trap - May 04, 2011
- Farooq Abdullah calls for push to renewable energy projects - Jun 23, 2010
- `Rising risk of Eurozone-US recession threaten Asian economies' - Dec 06, 2011
Tags: adb, agriculture tourism, annual meeting, asian countries, asian development bank, asian economies, benigno aquino iii, board of governors, commitments, distribution of wealth, economic goals, equitable distribution of wealth, filipinos, global growth, haruhiko kuroda, infrastructure development, philippine government, philippine president, regional cooperation, xinhua