ADB chief meets captains of Indian industry, calls for focus on infrastructure developmentNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:04 am ICT by admin
The delegation of Indian companies was led by Vinayak Chatterjee, Co-Chairman, CII Infrastructure Council and Chairman, Feedback Ventures. He welcomed the role being played by ADB in making resources available to the Indian infrastructure sector. In particular, he welcomed their involvement in state level projects. He urged them to be more involved in financing projects undertaken by the private sector as well.
Arvind Mayaram, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Finance, also present at the meeting, said that the involvement of ADB in financing private sector projects in infrastructure would deepen the appraisal capacity of Indian financial institutions.
According to others present at the meeting, the presence of ADB would enhance the credibility of a project. Other critical roles that the ADB can play include the provision of guarantees and take-out finance.
Other issues discussed at the meeting include the issue of slow implementation of projects and how rapid urbanization will make it imperative to provide adequate infrastructure including low-cost housing.
Other CII members present at the meeting included Dr. K C Chakrabarty, Chairman, CII Banking Committee and CMD, Punjab National Bank, S Sridhar, Chairman, National Housing Bank, Ash Gupta, Chairman, CII MNC Committee and Managing Director, Honeywell International, R V Kanoria, Chairman CII WTO and Trade Agreements and Chairman and MD Kanoria Chemicals and Industries, Suneet K Maheshwari, Chief Executive, L and T Infrastructure Finance, S Sandilya, Chairman CII Environment Committee and Chairman, Eicher Group. Ashok Lahiri, Executive Director, ADB, Lee Howell, Senior Director, World Economic Forum and Ajay Khanna, Deputy Director General, CII were also present at the meeting. (ANI)
- ADB President calls on Mukherjee, both agree for strengthening cooperation - Feb 03, 2011
- Cash rich PSUs to invest in projects to spur growth - Sep 11, 2012
- ADB urges Asian countries to undertake more reforms - May 04, 2012
- ADB 2009 performance on track: Report - Apr 22, 2010
- IIFCL, Union Bank ink deal for Rs.1,500 crore takeout finance - Oct 12, 2010
- IIFCL's role to be expanded - Sep 13, 2011
- Development banks pledge $175 bn for sustainable transport - Jun 21, 2012
- Asia represents world's best hope for achieving MDGs: ADB president tells UN - Sep 23, 2010
- Lack of contractors hitting northeast projects: ADB - Aug 08, 2012
- India, ADB mark 25 years of partnership - Oct 11, 2011
- ADB aid to developing countries tops $21.7 bn in 2011 - Apr 26, 2012
- Pranab to address US-India economic summit Monday - Jun 26, 2011
- ADB assistance increased by 42 percent in 2009: Report - Apr 22, 2010
- ADB 170 million dollar facility to help Bihar, Maharashtra modernize horticulture systems - Sep 16, 2010
- India launches $2 billion infrastructure debt fund - Mar 05, 2012
Tags: adb, chairman, cii members, committee, financing projects, indian financial institutions, indian infrastructure sector, infrastructure finance, involvement, ministry of finance, national housing bank, partnerships, private sector, punjab national bank, slow implementation, wto