Action against cheating emu farm owners, says JayalalithaaAugust 17th, 2012 - 10:36 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Aug 17 (IANS) Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa Friday directed the police to arrest the promoters of emu farms who are absconding after failing to honour commitments to their investors and take necessary action to confiscate the farms to pay off the latter.
In a statement issued here after chairing a review meeting on the issue, Jayalalithaa said: “I have ordered the police to arrest those who are absconding at the earliest. I have also ordered the police to take over the assets of emu farms through legal process and pay back the dues of investors.”
According to her, the state animal husbandry department would take care of the emu birds and once they grow up, they would be sold off and the proceeds would be adjusted towards the feed cost incurred by the department.
Jayalalithaa said 16 complaints have been registered against emu farm owners by the police and 33 people have been booked as accused. Till now four people have been arrested and remanded to judicial custody.
She said around 36,000 people have invested in emu farms located in Coimbatore and Erode belt.
- Emu farming spreads wings in Himachal - Aug 06, 2012
- Black Cats to protect Jayalalithaa during Madurai demonstration - Oct 16, 2010
- Jayalalithaa orders Rs.150 crore for cyclone relief - Dec 30, 2011
- Runaway emu captured in SC after a long chase - May 09, 2010
- Tamil Nadu cracks down on polluting dyeing factories - Apr 24, 2011
- Cyclone Thane kills 15 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Third Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Bihar to confiscate property of criminals - Sep 02, 2012
- Cyclone Thane kills 33 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Fourth Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Jayalalithaa orders inquiry into police firing - Sep 12, 2011
- Indian police arrest two alleged Pakistani spies - Dec 14, 2011
- Experts to study cause of bird flu outbreak - Mar 17, 2012
- Shutdown in Kerala over CPI-M leader's arrest - Aug 02, 2012
- Arrested DMK leaders, cadres released (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- To track ill-gotten assets, Bihar ready to cross borders - Feb 16, 2012
- Tamil Nadu farmers take to emu farming - Aug 26, 2010