Accessorise yourself with colourful gemstonesJuly 7th, 2008 - 9:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 7 (IANS) White topaz, rose quartz, green onyx, melanite tourmaline - these names are as intriguing as the semi-precious gemstones that are available in various colours and sizes. After gold, silver and diamonds - gemstones are getting popular among jewellery lovers. “Easy availability and affordable prices are the reasons why gems are so popular in Indian markets”, said Atul Agarwal, business head of Jaipur based P.D. Gems, at a press conference here.
“People can mix and match these gems with their attire because they come in various colours that are attractive and lighter on pocket at the same time”, he added.
Bangkok and Jaipur are the hubs of gemstones in Asia. Most of the gem cutting factories are in Jaipur because the cost of manpower is very low there.
The rise in precious metal prices has given people the opportunity to find alternative means of decking themselves up with different colours and have found a successful solution in gemstones.
Homemaker Suman Arora said: “I go to kitty parties a lot and every time one cannot wear diamonds and gold. So just to add to my accessories and break the monotonous cycle, I opted for gemstones.”
These stones are priced according to weight and range between Rs.20 and Rs.800, making them affordable but without resale value.
- Zambian emeralds dazzle Indian buyers - Mar 22, 2011
- Monastry Collection: Magical blend of style, healing (With Images) - Jun 21, 2012
- Kate Hudson to create jewellery line - Apr 29, 2011
- Bags go bling with rubies and emeralds (With Images) - Apr 09, 2010
- Rare icons on sale at India's first gemstone art auction - Oct 12, 2008
- High prices behind weak demand for diamonds this V-Day - Feb 13, 2012
- A Nano car worth Rs.22 crore - Sep 19, 2011
- Alpana to showcase garden-themed jewellery at IIJW (With Images) - Aug 02, 2011
- Gems and jewellery exports shine in 2010-11 - Apr 19, 2011
- Pam pays tribute to modern women with spring-summer collection (With Image) - Mar 06, 2012
- Gems, jewellery sector turnover to double by 2015: Assocham - Jul 22, 2011
- Auction market for watches, jewels looking up - Oct 21, 2010
- Kate Hudson creates jewellery line - Sep 10, 2011
- Pam Mehta offers Floral Fiesta (With Images) - Jan 11, 2012
- Anand Sharma inaugurates India Show in Switzerland - Mar 26, 2011
Tags: business head, colours, diamonds and gold, factories, gem cutting, gems, gold silver, homemaker, hubs, indian markets, manpower, melanite, New Delhi, precious metal prices, resale value, rs 800, semi precious gemstones, successful solution, time one, topaz