About 500 devotees from Allahabad leave for Amarnath caveJune 18th, 2008 - 10:48 pm ICT by ANI
Allahabad , June 18 (ANI): About 500 devotees from Allahabad with their tonsured heads painted with different names of Lord Shiva have embarked on the annual pilgrimage to holy Amarnath cave in Jammu and Kashmir .
They have painted their heads with different names of Lord Shiva like `Har Har Mahadev’ and `Baba’.
We are devotees of Lord Shiva. We have been serving Lord Shiva for the last four years. We have got different names of Lord Shiva written on our heads like Om Namah Shivay, Shivling, Jai Bhole, Baba, Trishul, Jai Baba Barfani, Har Har Mahadev, said Pankaj, a pilgrim.
Dressed in saffron, they danced enthusiastically to the beats of drums as they prepared to set off for the arduous journey.
We will go to Amarnath to pay obeisance to Lord Amarnath. It is our devotion because of which we have got `Shivling’, ` Om ‘ written on our heads, said Sanjay, a pilgrim.
Over 200,000 pilgrims have been registered so far for the annual pilgrimage, for which the maximum quota of the year has been fixed at 280,000.
The pilgrimage leads devotees through monsoon rain-swollen streams and past a glacier-fed lake to the cave where they worship an ice stalagmite, representing the regenerative powers of lord Shiva. (ANI)
- Shrikhand Mahadev pilgrimage begins in Himachal - Jul 15, 2012
- First batch of Amarnath pilgrims leave Jammu - Jun 30, 2010
- Amarnath Yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 30, 2010
- Devotees throng Shiva temples, celebrate 'Shravan' - Jul 16, 2011
- Three lakh pilgrims register for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 04, 2012
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Pilgrims carry Chari Mubarak to Amarnath shrine - Aug 15, 2010
- On Kartik Purnima, thousands take holy dip - Nov 10, 2011
- Improve medical aid for Amarnath pilgrims: Apex court (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Lucknow celebrates Mahashivratri with fervour - Mar 02, 2011
- Pilgrimage to Shiva's shrine begins in Himachal - Jul 16, 2010
- 'No artificial Shivling at Amarnath' - Jun 26, 2011
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
Tags: amarnath cave, arduous journey, devotees, fed lake, har, jai bhole, jammu and kashmir, mahadev, maximum quota, monsoon rain, names of lord shiva, obeisance, pilgrim, pilgrimage, regenerative powers, saffron, sanjay, shivling, tonsured, trishul