Abdullah promises special energy plan for Jammu and KashmirJune 12th, 2009 - 11:19 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 12 (IANS) Minister for New and Renewable Energy Farooq Abdullah Friday said his ministry would draw up a special plan for meeting Jammu and Kashmir’s energy needs.
“The main focus of this plan would be to electrify the remote and hilly areas, where laying of transmission lines is not possible,” Abdullah, who arrived here on his first visit after being inducted into the union cabinet, said.
He said the plan would get final shape soon. “It will be implemented in consultation with the state government.”
Jammu and Kashmir, despite having the potential to generate 20,000 MW of hydro-power, generates only 2,000 MW.
A huge chunk of this power is being taken by the central grid as the hydro-electric projects were constructed and now are managed by National Hydro-Electric Projects Corporation (NHPC).
Jammu and Kashmir gets only 12 percent of the power as royalty from Salal, Uri, Dul Hasti projects .
- Omar for financially self-reliant Jammu and Kashmir - Apr 24, 2012
- Jammu and Kashmir has huge power deficit - Feb 25, 2011
- Kashmir focuses on smaller hydroelectric projects - Oct 19, 2011
- 'Hydel agreements in Kashmir need renegotiation' - May 23, 2012
- Kashmir plunged into darkness; web, mobile links snapped - Jan 07, 2012
- High court permits usage of water cess levied on NHPC - Mar 31, 2012
- Kashmir power projects to be allotted through tenders - Mar 06, 2010
- Kashmir reviews terms of NHPC-run power projects - Jan 03, 2012
- Kashmir imposes usage charges on hydro projects - Feb 03, 2011
- Himachal's hydropower plants shut, power shortage in north (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Omar visits snow-hit Jammu region - Jan 09, 2012
- Kashmir minister lambasts NHPC for 'resource drainage' - Jun 06, 2011
- Kashmir's economic growth depends on power: Omar - Sep 04, 2012
- PDP assures action plan for growth of Chenab Valley - Sep 06, 2012
- Rising silt keeps Himachal hydropower plants shut - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: central grid, chunk, consultation, electric projects, energy plan, hilly areas, hydro electric, hydro power, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, mw, nhpc, renewable energy, royalty, shape, special energy, state government, transmission lines, union cabinet, uri