789 Chrysler Dealerships ClosingMay 15th, 2009 - 4:54 pm ICT by GD
Chrysler filed a motion in the US Bankruptcy court in New York where it said it intends to close down 789 dealerships by June 9 because most of the dealers were reporting low sales and the major bulk of sales were coming from 50% of the other dealers. According to Chrysler Vice President Jim Press, the final listing of dealerships to be closed has been drawn up and stands as final without the provision for an appeal. This move could mean a huge loss in jobs and unpaid taxes across the country.
Chrysler had announced that it would have to close down 25% of its total 3181 dealerships in an attempt to survive by downsizing and partnering with the Italian Fiat. The cuts could mean a dozen dealerships closed in Massachusetts, 20 in Indiana and 44 in Illinois, and even higher cuts in other states.
For the dealerships that have not received the letter of elimination it has been a time of mixed emotions. Cary Bosak of the Bosak Auto Group in Merrillville said, “Our employees and families obviously are happy and relieved. We’ll continue on as a Chrysler dealer; at the same time, the dealers all around that are getting cut are friends of ours that we’ve known for a long time. You feel happy for our employees but feel empathy for the (other) dealers.”
However, in spite of the no-appeal clause of Chrysler’s final list of eliminated dealerships, a number of dealers have said they will fight the proposal because all the eliminated dealerships taken together account for 14% of Chrysler’s sales in the US.
- Fiat to expand presence in Indian market - May 09, 2012
- Italy's Fiat dealers in for a sad Christmas - Dec 24, 2010
- Fiat sales take a hit in Europe - Jun 16, 2012
- US judge approves Chrysler dealership cuts - Jun 10, 2009
- Chryslers full dealerships closing list - May 15, 2009
- Tata Motor Finance to provide financial services to Fiat cars - Nov 03, 2010
- Fiat profit more than doubled in fourth quarter - Feb 03, 2012
- Fiat to manage distribution of Indian subsidiary - May 02, 2012
- 1,100 GM dealers receive closure notification today - May 15, 2009
- Chrysler's statement in response to Obama's announcement; announces agreement supported by the Treasury - Mar 30, 2009
- Nissan India sells over 1,600 cars in June - Jul 01, 2011
- GM makes huge dealer cuts, follows move by Chrysler - May 16, 2009
- GM announces new cost cuts, axes Pontiac for survival - Apr 27, 2009
- BMW India launches new dealership facility in Surat - Apr 11, 2011
- GM Repays Loans Much To The Surprise Of Many Analysts - Apr 22, 2010
Tags: auto group, bosak, chrysler, chrysler dealer, chrysler dealerships, country chrysler, downsizing, empathy, fiat, long time, massachusetts, mixed emotions, president jim, proposal, provision, s sales, spite, unpaid taxes, us bankruptcy court, vice president