$71 mn loan for water projects in Madhya PradeshOctober 14th, 2008 - 7:10 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, Oct 14 (Xinhua) The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a $71-million supplementary loan for an urban water supply project in Madhya Pradesh, the Manila, Philippines-based lender said Tuesday. The project aims to improve the water supply services, sewerage and sanitation services, storm-water drainage, and solid waste management in major cities of Madhya Pradesh including Bhopal, Gwalior, Indore, and Jabalpur, ADB said in a statement.
The cities are trade, commerce, and tourism hubs, where growth potentials are constrained by poor water and sewerage infrastructure systems.
ADB and India signed a $181-million loan agreement in March 2005 to support the project. However, progress was hampered by slow awarding of contracts, which eventually led to a huge cost overrun due to rupee appreciation and price increases since the project appraisal in 2003.
“Without the additional funding, the project in its original scope cannot be completed, and the integrity of the urban infrastructure system for water supply, sewerage, and waste disposal will be severely undermined,” said Hiroyuki Ikemoto, an Urban Economist at ADB’s South Asia Department.
The ADB loan is payable in 20 years with interest rate determined in accordance with ADB’s London Interbank Offered Rate-based lending facility, according to the statement.
- Urban sanitation hopelessly inadequate: Parliament panel - Apr 30, 2012
- ADB gives $100 mn loan to China - Jun 25, 2011
- Larsen and Toubro bags orders worth Rs.2,056 crore - Jan 02, 2012
- 'Urban projects fail to provide basic services' - Apr 26, 2012
- ADB gives $300 mn loan for road projects in Madhya Pradesh - Jun 15, 2011
- ADB 150 mln dollar loan to help India improve its urban infrastructure - Aug 11, 2010
- $315 mn ADB loan for Karnataka road projects - Jul 20, 2011
- Asian water crisis worsening, Asian Development Bank says - Oct 12, 2010
- ADB gives $300 mn loan to Bangladesh - Aug 11, 2011
- ADB lends 250 million dollars to help build Bangalore metro rail system - Apr 01, 2011
- L&T bags Rs.700-crore order - Sep 30, 2010
- Redevelopment of Delhi's industrial estates on PPP mode - Dec 17, 2011
- ADB Extends 315 million dollar for highway overhaul in Karnataka - Nov 29, 2010
- ADB to invest over Rs.13 bn on urban development schemes - Mar 01, 2009
- ADB approves 650-mn-dollar loan to help Pakistan rebuild flood-hit infrastructure - Mar 31, 2011
Tags: adb loan, asian development bank, london interbank, sewerage infrastructure, solid waste management, storm water drainage, urban economist, urban water supply, water supply project, water supply services