670 autos fined in DelhiJune 10th, 2011 - 6:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 10 (IANS) Around 670 auto-rickshaws and ‘Grameen Seva’ autos were fined in the capital on a single day for a variety of offences, police said Friday.
The special drive was carried out Thursday across the city and a fine of Rs.2,000 was slapped for each violation - like overloading of passengers and reckless driving. More than Rs.13 lakh was collected.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Satyendra Garg made it clear that autos and ‘Grameen Sevas’ cannot violate rules.
“I have decided that autos will run in the city as per the rules and not with passengers hanging from the sides,” Garg said on Facebook.
The Gramin Sewa auto service have become notorious for packing their vehicles with passengers and plying recklessly on arterial roads.
“We will continue this focused prosecution continuously to inculcate discipline. I know it will take some time but with sustained efforts it may become our culture to follow discipline,” added Garg.
- Delhi needs more autos, says police official - Apr 25, 2011
- Bengal comes out with directives for cabs, auto rickshaws - Aug 22, 2012
- Delhi drive: 543 commercial vehicles prosecuted - Jul 13, 2011
- Police cameras to watch 'devils on wheel' - Mar 20, 2012
- Court dismisses petitions against GPS systems for Delhi autos - Sep 17, 2012
- 86 rogue bikers penalised in Delhi - May 14, 2012
- Strike takes autos off Delhi roads, commuters hit - Feb 28, 2012
- Hike fines for traffic violations, say police - Oct 04, 2011
- Delhi cops want higher penalties to end traffic woes - Feb 11, 2012
- Delhi not to phase out autos for now, says Dikshit (Lead) - Mar 18, 2010
- Auto-rickshaws older than 10 years banned in Ranchi - May 15, 2012
- Strike takes autos off Delhi roads, commuters hit (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Crack down on dangerously overloaded trucks, say experts - Apr 21, 2010
- 8,000 fined for Holi traffic violations - Mar 21, 2011
- 30-year-old auto rickshaws banned in Pakistani city - Jul 22, 2012