5 dead, 65 injured in plane crash in HondurasJune 1st, 2008 - 12:01 am ICT by admin
Tegucigalpa ( Honduras ), May 31 (ANI): At least five people died and 65 injured when a jet owned by Central America’s TACA airlines slipped across a runway and onto a road while landing at the Tegucigalpa airport.
Airbus A-320 was carrying 124 passengers with crew and was flying on Los Angeles-San Salvador-Tegucigalpa route, officials said.
The plane skidded off the runway, crashed down a 20-metre embankment, moved fastly across a road and broke into three pieces, TACA officials said.
TACA manager Armando Funes was not able to give detailed information about the victims but informed local media that “the plane was completely destroyed” and that “the passengers were being taken to hospitals for evaluation.”
Among the dead was Nicaraguan Harry Brautigam, the president of the Central American Bank for Economic Integration, according to Honduran President Manuel Zelaya.
At least 65 people were admitted to hospitals, including Brazil ’s ambassador to Tegucigalpa , Brian Michael Fraser Neele.
Many had inhaled smoke which emanated from fire during the crash, rescue personnel said.
Honduras Industry and Commerce Minister Norman Garcia said poor visibility may have caused the crash.
“It was a difficult landing due to the clouds at Toncontin (airport). The cloud ceiling was very low and the pilot attempted to land on the first try but had to take flight again,” said Garcia. (ANI)
- Two killed in plane crash in Honduras - May 31, 2008
- Two killed in Honduras anti-coup rally (Lead) - Jul 06, 2009
- Four killed as plane crash lands in Honduras(Lead) - May 31, 2008
- Ousted Honduran president's plane not allowed to land - Jul 06, 2009
- Nicaragua rejects Honduras' claims of troops buildup - Jul 06, 2009
- Drug-laden plane crashes in Honduras - Jul 04, 2012
- Ousted President Zelaya re-enters Honduras (Lead) - Jul 25, 2009
- 89 die in Central America rains - Oct 17, 2011
- Honduran government orders curfew to block Zelaya's return - Jul 25, 2009
- 'El Salvador Vs Honduras': Saturday's Big Clash - Sep 05, 2010
- Honduras wants to prevent landing of ousted president (Lead) - Jul 05, 2009
- Former Honduras president says US behind coup against him - Jun 29, 2010
- Honduras breaks off relations with Venezuela - Jul 22, 2009
- Honduras president-elect to meet ousted Zelaya - Dec 12, 2009
- 14 killed in Honduras plane crash - Feb 15, 2011
Tags: airbus a 320, ambassador, cloud ceiling, commerce minister, crash rescue, economic integration, embankment, honduran president, honduras tegucigalpa, local media, michael fraser, neele, nicaraguan, plane crash, poor visibility, san salvador, taca airlines, tegucigalpa airport, tegucigalpa honduras, three pieces