43 lakh UIDAI enrolments in PunjabSeptember 29th, 2011 - 7:43 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Sep 29 (IANS) The Unique Identification Authority of India’s (UIDAI) campaign for the ‘Aadhaar’ national identity card has got over 43 lakh enrolments in Punjab, an official said Thursday.
The union territory of Chandigarh, with nearly 450,000 enrolments for a population of 10.54 lakh has achieved a target of 44 per cent so far - the highest in this region.
With 43 lakh enrolments, 16 per cent of the population in Punjab has been enrolled under the campaign, UIDAI deputy director general Kehni Anand Arora told reporters here.
Hill state Himachal Pradesh has seen 19.5 lakh enrolments - 29 per cent of its population while the enrolment in Haryana so far has only been about 650,000.
In Jammu and Kashmir, where the campaign was launched recently, only about 5,000 enrolments have been made so far, she said.
She said that over 75,000 enrolments were being done in all these states of the region daily.
Arora said the UIDAI regional centre is all set to launch a special campaign to cover the marginalised and socially disadvantaged sections of the society in Punjab, Chandigarh, Himachal Pradesh and Haryana.
She said that under the special campaign, slum areas, deaf and dumb institutions and special category people would be enrolled on priority. A special drive for differently-abled, marginalised and homeless people would be the focus area, she added.
A total of 10 crore enrolments have been made countrywide and over 3.84 crore Aadhaar numbers have been generated, Arora said.
- Aadhaar to pilot financial, banking services in 50 districts - Apr 18, 2012
- Aadhaar used for first time in northeast - Sep 07, 2012
- Tripura leads in UID enrolment - Sep 26, 2011
- One crore Indians get their unique ID number - Jun 30, 2011
- FAQ on 'Aadhaar' (To go with 'How to get your own unique identity') - May 08, 2011
- Aadhaar to pilot pensions, wages in 50 districts, says Ramesh - Jul 01, 2012
- Tripura to ask CBI to probe Aadhaar fund utilisation - Mar 01, 2012
- Both home ministry, UIDAI to gather data, cabinet decides - Jun 07, 2012
- UIA releases the list of enrolment agencies - Jul 15, 2010
- Compromise reached on Unique ID project row (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- Denial of funds not a setback, says Nilekani - Sep 29, 2011
- Over 2.8 crore unique identity numbers issued - Aug 24, 2011
- Unique identification number launched in northeast India - Dec 02, 2010
- Media awards on gender sensitivity - May 21, 2012
- Aadhaar number to help deprived people get banking services - Jan 21, 2011
Tags: anand, arora, deputy director general, disadvantaged sections, focus area, haryana, himachal pradesh, homeless people, India, institutions, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, marginalised, national identity card, population, priority, regional centre, slum areas, target, union territory of chandigarh