400,000 polluting cars to go off Beijing roadsApril 20th, 2011 - 3:30 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, April 20 (IANS) The government plans to remove by 2015 as many as 400,000 polluting cars from the roads of Beijing, a city that already has nearly 5 million cars.
Officials will target vehicles that spew thick fumes as part of an ambitious plan to boost the number of “blue-sky days”, China Daily reported.
Beijing has almost 5 million cars and to ease congestion, a license plate system was introduced in April 2009 that bans cars for one day a week.
Zang Yuanwei, deputy director of the environmental protection bureau’s vehicle emissions management division, said the project to remove cars will be carried out systematically and 50,000 “dirty” vehicles will be removed by the end of this year.
Zang, however, skirted a query on whether subsidies will be used to encourage owners to give up their cars.
Two years back, 106,000 high-polluting vehicles were removed by offering cash incentives.
“The measures to limit new cars and optimise the car population are feasible to controlling pollutants,” Zang was quoted as saying.
The official added that long-term regulations will be released in the coming months to ensure stricter monitoring.
He Kebin, a professor, said: “The emissions from just one heavily polluting car roughly equates to 20 conventional cars.”
- Beijing has over 5 mn car owners - Feb 17, 2012
- Beijing to curb cars in city through number plates - Dec 23, 2010
- China to cut 40 percent emission by 2015 - Feb 01, 2012
- Chinese vehicles emitted 52 mn tonnes of pollutants - Dec 20, 2011
- Electric cars cause more pollution than petrol ones: Study - Feb 14, 2012
- Dhaka - a city with 400,000 rickshaws! - Sep 06, 2011
- Beijing puts limits on new vehicle registrations to stem traffic jam epidemic - Dec 24, 2010
- Air pollution increases risk of repeat heart attack - Jun 06, 2012
- Delhi mulls congestion tax - Nov 04, 2010
- Beijing car sales to plummet in 2011 - Dec 24, 2011
- Court notice to centre on diesel-run vehicles (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Transportation experts support congestion tax on cars - Jun 10, 2010
- 4.59 crore voters for Tamil Nadu assembly elections - Jan 10, 2011
- Beijing launches bicycle rental system - Jun 17, 2012
- Get paid to dispose off your old vehicles in China - Jun 09, 2011
Tags: 5 million, ambitious plan, beijing, blue sky, cash incentives, china daily, congestion, conventional cars, deputy director, dirty vehicles, environmental protection bureau, license plate, management division, measures, million cars, new cars, pollutants, population, subsidies, vehicle emissions