3G spectrum auction unlikely before electionsMarch 18th, 2009 - 2:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 18 (IANS) It is unlikely that auction of the spectrum for third generation (3G) telecommunication applications will take place before the Lok Sabha elections, telecom secretary Siddharth Behura said Wednesday.
“We cannot talk about 3G spectrum auctions since it is election time and nothing seems to be feasibe currently,” Behura told reporters on the sidelines of 17th Convergence India conference here.
The government had constituted a 10-member group of ministers (GoM) in March, led by External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee, to look into the auctions of the 3G spectrum. The GoM was alos supposed to take a decision on the number of players allowed to offer 3G services in each telecom circle.
In January, the Department of Telecom had proposed a reserve price at Rs.35.4 billion (Rs.3,540 crore) per telecom circle for the 3G auctions.
Earlier, the finance ministry had suggested a base price of Rs.40.4 billion (Rs.4,040 crore), while the DoT had wanted to keep it at Rs.20.2 billion (Rs.2,020 crore).
When asked about status of release of 15 mega hertz (Mhz) of spectrum from defence forces, Behura said: “There is no fixed date for it. It may happen anytime.”
Though Communications Minister A. Raja had said in February that 3G spectrum auctions can happen this fiscal, the government in the Interim Budget 2009-10 said that the auction process will take place only in the next fiscal.
- TRAI sets high base price for 2G auction, operators cry foul (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- TRAI recommends high base prices for 2G auction - Apr 23, 2012
- EGoM to take final call on pricing and refarming of spectrum - May 26, 2012
- Call rates can rise 100 percent, warn telecom operators - May 03, 2012
- Cabinet okays Rs.14,000 crore spectrum reserve price (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Supreme Court extends 2G auction deadline to Jan 11 (Second Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- EGoM to decide on spectrum pricing Thursday - Jun 20, 2012
- Telecom tariffs to rise 37 to 49 paise at Rs.1,400 crore reserve price: COAI - Aug 06, 2012
- Telecom Commission to meet again Saturday on spectrum pricing - May 24, 2012
- EGoM on 2G spectrum deferred - Jun 21, 2012
- EGoM to take final call Tuesday on spectrum pricing - Jun 04, 2012
- Minimum bid price for 2G spectrum too high: SSTL - Aug 07, 2012
- 3G auction base price to be announced in a week (Lead) - Jun 19, 2009
- Excess spectrum allocation: Apex court notice on plea for recovering charges - Mar 12, 2012
- 'TRAI plan on spectrum auction will curtail investment' - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: 3g services, base price, crore, defence forces, election time, external affairs minister, finance ministry, india conference, interim budget, lok sabha elections, member group, pranab mukherjee, rs 2, rs 40, siddharth, spectrum auction, spectrum auctions, telecom circle, telecommunication applications, third generation