3 more farmers commit suicide in VidarbhaMay 22nd, 2012 - 8:07 pm ICT by IANS
Amravati (Maharashtra), May 22 (IANS) Three more farmers have committed suicide since Sunday, one of them Tuesday afternoon, taking this year’s toll so far to 334 in western Vidarbha only, a non-government organisation fighting for farmers’ rights said.
Debt-trapped cotton farmer Tulsiram Gandhi, 65, committed suicide by hanging himself in his house at village Sawala in Amaravati district, Kishor Tiwari, president of the Vidarbha Jan Andolan Samiti, said.
“It is ironical that a progressive farmer like Gandhi committed suicide in the village that was in 2006 visited by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who assured them of appropriate relief measures,” Tiwari said.
Gandhi’s recent crop loss put him in debt of over Rs.3 lakh. The owner of 25 acres of land, he was facing crop failure since 2009, Tiwari said.
Two other farmers — Nandu Rathode of Kana village in Yavatmal district and Prakash Gore of Dhamangoan (Bade) in Buldhana district — also committed suicide Sunday, taking the toll in 2012 to 334 in western Vidarbha, Tiwari claimed.
In view of water-scarcity situation in western Maharashtra, the central government released Rs.700 crore relief earlier this month. However, farmers have cried foul over the package, saying several districts have been left out of the relief scheme.
The toll of 334 does not include five districts of eastern Vidarbha, namely Nagpur, Bhandara, Gondia, Gadchiroli and Chandrapur. The figures of farmer suicides were not available from respective district collectorates and commissionerates despite repeated attempts.
“We have also been making efforts to get an official figure of farmer suicides from authorities, but have failed. However, we have been able to document 112 farmer suicides in the year 2012 in these five districts,” Tiwari said.
- Five more farmers commit suicides in Vidarbha - May 01, 2012
- Four more farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - Sep 08, 2012
- As Rahul spoke, farmer suicides continued in Vidarbha - Sep 08, 2010
- Economist Kelkar to meet Vidarbha farmers - Apr 05, 2012
- Treat farmer suicides as murders, demands Vidarbha outfit - Dec 29, 2010
- Seven more Vidarbha farmers commit suicide in last 48 hours - Sep 08, 2011
- Economist Vijay Kelkar visits crisis-ridden Vidarbha - Apr 06, 2012
- Five farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - Sep 02, 2011
- Vidharba woman who inspired Rahul Gandhi gives BJP the slip - Oct 19, 2011
- Farmers' suicides: Parliamentary panel to visit Vidarbha Friday - Mar 01, 2012
- Vidarbha supporters to observe Maharashtra Day as Black Day - Apr 27, 2012
- UP farmers seek Big B's help to write off debts - May 16, 2012
- Six more Vidarbha farmers commit suicides, says NGO - Jul 01, 2012
- Farmer critical after attempting suicide at Chavan's rally - Dec 04, 2011
- Vidharba farmers protest Chavan's 'peanuts' bailout package - Dec 15, 2011
Tags: amravati, andolan, central government, cotton farmer, crop failure, crop loss, gandhi, government organisation, manmohan, manmohan singh, prakash, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive farmer, relief measures, suicides, tuesday afternoon, water scarcity, western maharashtra, year 2012