‘3 Idiots’ UAV attracts eyeballs at DefExpoFebruary 18th, 2010 - 4:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 18 (IANS) An unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) that featured in the Aamir Khan starrer “3 Idiots” has been drawing considerable eyeballs at the DefExpo 2010 land and naval systems exhibition here.
Visitors were mesmerized by a small bird like object hovering 50 metres above the ground and beaming down video footage of the surroundings. With Thursday, the concluding day of the exhibition, being open to the public, it was a delight for those who had never seen such an object flying and many captured the moment on their cameras.
“It was the same Netra that flew in the movie,” said Amardeep Singh, vice president (Marketing and Operations) of ideaForge Technology that has manufactured the UAV. It costs around Rs.20 lakh and can scan an area of 1.5 km.
“We have designed this in association with the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO). We plan to sell it to the police and private security agencies,” Singh told IANS.
The DRDO too showcased its lightweight UAVs at the exhibition.
“We are developing small UAVs weighing around 300 gm to 500 gm,” a DRDO official said.
Also on display was the DRDO’s Nishant UAV that the Indian Army uses for reconnaissance purposes.
“We have so far delivered four UAVs to the army. Eight more will be delivered soon,” the DRDO official said.
A cockpit simulator of the Eurofighter Typhoon combat jet was another hit among the visitors.
“I felt that I was really flying a fighter aircraft,” said a woman visitor.
The Eurofighter Typhoon is one of the six contenders for an Indian Air Force order for 126 aircraft in a deal valued at $12 billion.
- '3 Idiots' UAV inducted into counter-insurgency operations - Jan 30, 2012
- Indian-run New Zealand firm designs UAV for cloud seeding - Mar 26, 2012
- Defence expo in March 2012 - Oct 10, 2011
- DRDO's UAVs, new weapons systems to fight Maoists - Feb 18, 2010
- South Asia's largest aero show takes off Wednesday - Feb 08, 2011
- Indian Army buying 20 mini-UAVs for Kashmir - Aug 29, 2012
- Asia's largest defence exhibition kicks off Thursday - Mar 28, 2012
- DRDO offers weapons, UAVs to police to fight extremists - Feb 17, 2010
- Eurofighter displays cockpit demonstrator at Berlin air show - Jun 09, 2010
- Global arms majors descend on Indian defence exhibition (Curtain raiser) - Feb 14, 2010
- Rafale fighter selection for IAF final: Minister - Mar 03, 2012
- Dazzling fly-past, daring aerobatics mark Aero India launch (Lead) - Feb 09, 2011
- Aerospace major EADS establishes R&D facility at Bangalore - Feb 17, 2010
- Indigenous Rustom UAV completes successful fifth flight - Nov 11, 2011
- Eurofighter Typhoon targets 300 additional orders in next 20 years - Feb 12, 2010
Tags: aamir khan, amardeep singh, cockpit simulator, defence research, development organisation, eurofighter typhoon, eurofighter typhoon combat jet, eyeballs, fighter aircraft, indian air force, indian army, lakh, netra, nishant, private security agencies, small bird, uavs, unmanned aerial vehicle, vice president marketing, video footage