2G scam: CBI, ED team to probe money trailJune 13th, 2011 - 9:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 13 (IANS) A joint team of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and Enforcement Directorate (ED) officials is expected to leave for Britain and the Channel Islands Tuesday to probe the alleged money trail in 2G spectrum allocation kickbacks case, CBI officials said Monday.
“The team will probe companies associated with Unitech and Loop Telecom involved in the case,” said a CBI official.
The official also said that the team was also to visit British Virgin Islands but cancelled this part of the tour since it was too far away.
The joint team will be probing whether Unitech routed money through companies registered in Cyprus, and the Isle of Man and Jersey - dependencies of Britain, situated in the English channel off France.
The team will also investigate Loop Telecom, promoted by I.P. Khaitan and Kiran Khaitan, as they allegedly received funds from numerous overseas locations.
The ED sent Letters Rogatory (a formal request) to around 10 countries last year to unravel the money trail.
An ED official said the letters were also sent to Cyprus, Singapore, Mauritius, the United Arab Emirates, Libya, Norway and Russia, besides Great Britain, Jersey and the Isle of Man.
- 2G trail: ED-CBI team leaves for Mauritius, Cyprus May 15 - May 06, 2011
- Mauritius apex court agrees to help CBI in 2G scam probe - May 28, 2011
- Essar CEO quizzed by CBI, Khaitan Group members summoned (Lead, superseding earlier story) - May 13, 2011
- Essar CEO, Khaitan Group members quizzed by CBI - May 12, 2011
- 'So many zeroes...' Supreme Court raps tax department on 2G (Lead) - May 05, 2011
- Apex court pulls up IT department for tardy 2G probe (Second Lead) - May 05, 2011
- 2G report: Supreme Court pulls up income tax department - May 05, 2011
- Chidambaram overruled officials on 2G, apex court told - Apr 04, 2012
- No Maran role in Aircel deal, CBI tells apex court (Lead) - Sep 01, 2011
- CBI allowed to attach Jagan's properties - May 17, 2012
- JPC to quiz nine former telecom secretaries (Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
- 2G: Court summons five corporate honchos (Second Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Chronology of Bofors scandal - Jan 03, 2011
- 2G Scam: Ravi Ruia, three others issued fresh summons (Lead) - Jan 27, 2012
- 2G: Court order on CBI's fresh set of charges Dec 21 (Lead) - Dec 17, 2011
Tags: british virgin islands, cbi officials, central bureau of investigation, channel islands, dependencies, ed officials, ed team, enforcement directorate, formal request, great britain, isle of man, kickbacks, libya, loop telecom, mauritius, money trail, New Delhi, spectrum allocation, unitech, united arab emirates