2G report: Supreme Court pulls up income tax departmentMay 5th, 2011 - 2:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 5 (IANS) The Supreme Court Thursday pulled up the income tax department for filing a sketchy report on investigations into the 2G scam. The court will also consider appointing a committee to monitor the CBI and Enforcement Directorate (ED) probe in the case.
Justice G.S. Singvi and Justice Asok Kumar Ganguly asked the director general, income tax, to file a comprehensive report giving full details of the probe conducted by it so far into the role of people in the scam, in particular from the time it got the Niira Radia tapes in October.
The court also said it would consider senior counsel Prashant Bhushan’s suggestion for the appointment of a group of eminent persons to assist the court in monitoring investigation into the scam by the ED and the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
Senior counsel K.K. Venugopal, appearing for CBI, opposed the appointment of a monitoring committee at this stage, saying it would mean expressing lack of confidence in investigation by the CBI so far.
He said officers of the CBI and ED would proceed to Mauritius with letters rogatory to track the money trail in the 2G scam.
He said the court can wait till July when a further status report would be filed by the CBI and ED on their return from Mauritius.
However, the court said it will hold further hearing May 13 on the plea by Prashant Bhushan seeking appointment of a monitoring committee.
The scam relates to irregularities in the allocation of airwaves to telecom firms that allegedly caused huge losses to the national exchequer. Several corporate bigwigs besides former communications minister A. Raja are in jail because of the scam.
- 'So many zeroes...' Supreme Court raps tax department on 2G (Lead) - May 05, 2011
- Apex court pulls up IT department for tardy 2G probe (Second Lead) - May 05, 2011
- Supreme Court pulls up IT department for inaction in 2G scam - May 16, 2011
- Radia tapes: Rights group to oppose Tata's plea against publication - Dec 12, 2010
- ED to attach assets of firms in 2G case (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Scope of CBI's spectrum probe expanded: Bhushan - Dec 16, 2010
- Apex court to monitor expanded CBI probe into spectrum scam (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2010
- 2G case: CBI seeks two more days to file charges (Second Lead) - Mar 29, 2011
- 2G scam probe supervision plea after summer recess: Apex court - May 13, 2011
- CBI again questions Niira Radia in 2G scam - Jan 25, 2011
- Evidence of wrongdoings in 2G spectrum grant: Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Dec 16, 2010
- Apex court to resume hearings in 2G case - Oct 09, 2011
- Chidambaram overruled officials on 2G, apex court told - Apr 04, 2012
- CBI seeks six more months for 2G spectrum scam probe - Oct 08, 2010
- 2G scam: CBI to file third charge sheet by Sep 15 - Aug 24, 2011
Tags: 2g, appointment, asok kumar, cbi, central bureau of investigation, corporate bigwigs, eminent persons, enforcement directorate, ganguly, income tax department, investigations, irregularities, lack of confidence, money trail, monitoring committee, New Delhi, plea, raja, senior counsel, telecom firms