2G case: CBI to file more documents (Lead)March 6th, 2012 - 9:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 6 (IANS) The CBI was Tuesday allowed by a special court here to present additional documents in the 2G case.
Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Special Judge O.P. Saini accepted the application of the probe agency amid protests by defence counsel.
Defence counsel opposed CBI’s plea saying that it would prejudice the case against the accused.
DB Realty managing director Vinod Goenka’s defence counsel Majid Memon said: “The CBI is creating an unnecessary hurdle in smooth functioning of this trial.”
Public Prosecutor A.K. Singh said whenever investigating officers felt the necessity of placing additional documents, they do so for the interest of justice.
He said that the copies of the document were supplied to the accused so these would not prejudice their case.
The CBI has alleged that former telecom minister A. Raja allotted the second generation (2G) radiowaves in an arbitrary manner and caused a huge loss to the government exchequer.
According to the government auditor, the 2G scam, allegedly masterminded by Raja, pertained to a biased distribution of mobile airwaves and operating licences, in lieu of kickbacks, to telecom firms that could have cost the treasury up to Rs.1.76 lakh crore in lost revenue.
Nineteen individuals and six companies are accused in the case. Except for Raja and Behura, all other arrested accused have been released on bail.
- 2G case: CBI to file more documents - Mar 06, 2012
- 2G scam: Balwa objects to judge's intervention - Mar 20, 2012
- Ex-TRAI chief Mishra deposes in 2G scam case - Jan 11, 2012
- Chandra visited Raja's office: 2G case witness (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- TRAI had no information about spectrum, court told - Mar 22, 2012
- 2G: Court allows Behura to appear before JPC - Mar 30, 2012
- Don't treat 3G in continuation of 2G, TRAI said in 2006: Witness - Mar 15, 2012
- 2G: Cross examination of Raja's ex-aide concludes (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- 2G: Lawyers warned about irrelevant questions - Apr 18, 2012
- Former telecom regulator testifies in 2G case - Feb 23, 2012
- 2G: Raja concludes cross examination of ex-aide (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- Have not changed statement to save myself: Former telecom secretary - Apr 20, 2012
- No threat to support CBI's 2G case: Raja's ex-aide (Lead) - Jan 03, 2012
- Court allows Kanimozhi to attend budget session (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Did not depose falsely against Raja: Ex-telecom secretary - Apr 17, 2012
Tags: arbitrary manner, cbi, central bureau of investigation, crore, defence counsel, government auditor, hurdle, interest of justice, kickbacks, managing director, New Delhi, public prosecutor, radiowaves, raja, rs 1, saini, second generation, six companies, special judge, telecom firms