25.4 bn euros recovered from tax evaders in ItalyFebruary 11th, 2011 - 12:21 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Feb 11 (IANS/AKI) Italy recovered 25.4 billion euros of dodged taxes in 2010, say the country’s tax and insurance agencies.
Italy’s main tax agency recouped 10.4 billion euros, while 6.4 billion euros were retrieved by Italy’s public pension and health insurance fund INPS, and 6.6 billion in tax credits and 1.9 billion by the state’s tax collection body (Equitalia).
“We’ve been able to deliver increasingly impressive results thanks to the ever-more punctual and rigorous work of all the tax authorities,” Italy’s tax agency director Attilio Befera said at a press conference in Rome Thursday.
Italy’s tax agency recovered a total 9.1 billion euros of unpaid taxes in 2009, and 7 billion euros in 2008.
Italy’s undeclared or ‘black’ economy was worth 275 billion euros in 2008, or about 18 percent of all economic output for that year, the government has said. That denied Europe’s fourth-richest country of 100 billion euros in taxes, according to Bloomberg News.
Governments have in recent years been clamping down on tax evasion which some economists estimate is worth Italy’s annual gross domestic product.
- Italian ministers post salaries online - Feb 22, 2012
- Italy loses 4.5 bn euros in tax frauds - May 03, 2012
- 1,000 yachts raided in Italy to nab tax cheats - Apr 04, 2012
- Underground economy worth $344 bn in Italy - Jul 13, 2010
- Italy wine exports beat home consumption for first time - Apr 08, 2011
- 24,000 Italian government employees to lose jobs - Jul 11, 2012
- Inflation jumps in Italy - Feb 23, 2012
- Italy identifies over 6,000 tax frauds - Apr 22, 2010
- Italy seizes Gaddafi assets worth $1.4 bn - Mar 30, 2012
- Italy's industrial production rose in November - Jan 13, 2012
- Italians declare 97 bn euros stashed off-shore - Jun 22, 2010
- Cops raid world's oldest bank - May 09, 2012
- 18th century tower crumbles in Italy - Jun 04, 2012
- Nearly 50 mafia men held in Italy - Jun 07, 2012
- `Blind' man caught driving in Italy - Jan 13, 2012
Tags: agency director, attilio, black economy, bn, economic output, gross domestic product, health insurance, health insurance fund, impressive results, inps, insurance agencies, italy rome, mj, public pension, rigorous work, tax authorities, tax credits, tax evaders, tax evasion, unpaid taxes