22 children hospitalised after consuming jatropha seedsJanuary 1st, 2009 - 3:55 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Jan 1 (IANS) At least 22 children, all less than eight years old, were admitted to hospital in a serious condition in Chhattisgarh after consuming seeds of the poisonous jatropha plant which is being grown on a large scale to extract bio-fuel, police said Thursday.”As many as 22 children of Durg town were rushed to the district government hospital in a serious condition after they mistakenly consumed jatropha seeds grown in a local field late Wednesday,” Dipanshu Kabra, district superintendent of police, told IANS.
Durg town, located some 40 km from state capital Raipur, is in Durg district.
The officer said: “The kids are showing signs of improvement and doctors have said they are out of danger, but they have all been kept under observation.”
Jatropha is a plant that grows up to three metres and produces inedible fruits. Several states, including Chhattisgarh, have been planting its saplings in millions in a bid to extract bio-fuel from it.
Some agricultural scientists say large-scale jatropha plantations are becoming a curse for children as just two of its seeds are enough to act as a strong purgative while four to five seeds can cause death.
- 32 kids hospitalised after eating jatropha seeds - Oct 12, 2010
- Six kids eat jatropha seeds, critically ill - Jan 02, 2010
- 23 seriously ill after eating jatropha seeds - Oct 31, 2009
- Nine Chhattisgarh children in hospital after eating jatropha seeds - Feb 16, 2009
- 38 children take ill after eating jatropha seeds - Feb 18, 2009
- Jatropha saplings destroyed in Chhattisgarh - Aug 02, 2010
- 30 children fall ill after eating Jatropha seeds - Sep 07, 2009
- Man held for burying alive wife, three others - Jan 22, 2012
- Cuba tests biofuel vehicle - Jul 23, 2012
- Jatropha harmful for kids, soil and aquatic life: scientist - May 08, 2008
- Government told to decide fast on bio-fuels programme: Parliament panel - May 07, 2012
- Cuba unveils its first biodiesel plant - Jul 17, 2012
- Jatropha holds potential for sustainable aviation fuel - Apr 04, 2011
- Successful biofuel flight conducted in Mexico - Apr 03, 2011
- Chinese plane flies on biofuel - Oct 28, 2011