21 killed in fire at Bangladesh garment factoryFebruary 26th, 2010 - 5:11 am ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Feb 26 (IANS) At least 21 people, including 15 women, were killed and 50 injured in a major fire which broke out in a garment factory in Bangladesh’s Gazipur town, around 50 km north of Dhaka, police said Friday.
The blaze engulfed the Garib & Garib Sweater factory at around 9:30 P.M. Thursday when workers were preparing to leave, said Suman, one of the workers who escaped the fire.
At least 50 were injured, suffering burns or smoke inhalation. Of them, 20-25 were taken to hospitals, a senior police officer said.
Gazipur General Hospital’s Md Ataul Islam said, “Around 20 people were brought in, of which 11 were pronounced dead”.
While seven workers were declared dead at Tongi government hospital, three deaths were confirmed by doctors at Tairunnessa Memorial Medical College and Hospital, according to bdnews24.com. Of the 21 victims, 15 were women.
Dhaka fire control room duty officer Nazrul Islam told bdnews24.com that 10 fire units and six ambulances were rushed to the scene. It took two hours to douse the flame, though firemen were “dumping down” the fire till 1.30 A.M Friday.
The fire started on the first floor of the seven-storey building. Several workers were stuck on the second floor as the fire spread and firemen had to cut the window grills to rescue them.
The cause of fire and total number of workers present in the building at that time was yet to be ascertained.
- Dhaka factory blaze toll rises to 25 - Dec 15, 2010
- Two die in septic tank in Bangladesh - Aug 03, 2012
- 45 killed in factory fires in Pakistan (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Four killed as worker-police clash in Bangladesh - Oct 31, 2009
- Over 300 dead as blaze engulfs two factories in Pakistan (Night Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- 100 die in Pakistan as two factories go up in flames (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- At least 27 killed, 100 injured in Bangladesh factory fire - Dec 14, 2010
- 135 die as flames engulf two factories in Pakistan (Third Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- 25 dead in Lahore factory blaze (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Four die in Dhaka lift collapse - Jul 22, 2011
- 30 dead as flames engulf firecracker factory (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Six killed, 45 wounded in bangladesh in road accidents - Jul 19, 2011
- Fire engulfs factory in Delhi - May 27, 2012
- Major fire in Lucknow factory - May 29, 2012
- Fire kills two kids in Paris - Jan 23, 2012
Tags: ambulances, bangladesh garment, blaze, burns, deaths, fire control, fire units, firemen, flame, garib, garment factory, gazipur, general hospital, government hospital, hospitals, medical college, nazrul islam, police officer, seven storey, smoke inhalation