200 trapped ECL miners in Bengal rescuedJuly 31st, 2012 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 31 (IANS) Around 200 miners of the Eastern Coalfields Ltd (ECL), trapped in West Bengal’s Burdwan district after the power grid failure, have been rescued, police said Tuesday.
“Around 200 miners who had been trapped inside ECL mines in Sodepur and Satgram in the district following power failure have been rescued. Following efforts by the administration, emergency power supply was arranged and all the miners have been brought out safely,” Asansol-Durgapur Commissioner of Police Ajay Kumar Nand told IANS.
The miners were trapped when power supply snapped around 1 p.m. Rescue efforts were initiated as soon as possible.
- Bengal faces eight hours of blackout (Third Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Second blackout in India hits 19 states, 600 million people (Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- 10 held for gang-raping woman in Bengal - Sep 11, 2012
- Bengal orders closure of 10 sponge iron units - Jun 18, 2012
- Lack of infrastructure, manpower affecting police: Mamata - Dec 15, 2011
- Essar sets high target of methane extraction in Bengal - Aug 08, 2012
- Jharkhand mine floods, one killed (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Eastern Coalfields must stop forcible land acquisition: CPI-M - Jun 22, 2011
- Miners trapped in Jharkhand - Aug 28, 2012
- P&H; Joy to invest $25mn in Bengal mining equipment unit - Jan 11, 2012
- Nine miners trapped in Peru may be rescued soon - Apr 11, 2012
- Nearly 80 trapped in cable cars rescued - May 26, 2012
- Power supply hit in north India - Jul 30, 2012
- One dead, eight trapped as Jharkhand mine caves in - Nov 22, 2010
- Grid failure stalls life in Punjab, Haryana - Jul 31, 2012