18 people died in Italy while picking mushroomsAugust 30th, 2010 - 1:03 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 30 (IANS) As many as 18 people died while picking mushrooms in Italy in little more than a week. The deaths took place after victims fell into crevasses and deep gorges.
A rich mushroom harvest in the Alpine valleys of northern Italy had led to people making a beeline for the woods and forests to look for succulent funghi.
Many, who were unfit and ill-equipped, ventured into remote areas without proper equipment.
Daily Telegraph Monday reported that those who died either fell into rocky crevasses and gorges or met with similar physical mishaps.
Marco Biasoni, a mountain rescuer, told Corriere della Sera: “Lots of people go to areas which are easy to access, but there are always a few people who want to search out remote bits of woodland which no one else knows.”
Collecting wild mushrooms is a popular pastime in Italy.
Seven of the deaths were reported from the Lombardy region while other people were killed in Piedmont, on the border with France, and Trentino-Alto Adige, abutting Austria.
In the latest case, a woman died after she fell 40 metres down a steep rocky slope in a forest near the town of Sondrio.
- 180 fake paintings seized in Italy - May 04, 2012
- Seven killed as train derails in Italy - Apr 12, 2010
- Three killed in Italy's avalanches - Feb 21, 2010
- Drug bust at Berlusconi company - Nov 08, 2011
- Italy quake toll rises to seven - May 21, 2012
- 8 fall sick in Assam after consuming wild mushrooms - Jun 06, 2012
- Four fall sick after consuming wild mushrooms in Assam - Apr 27, 2012
- Monti to govern till 2013: Berlusconi - Nov 21, 2011
- Abducted Italian journalists kept hostage in Tripoli - Aug 25, 2011
- We are in the G8 of sport: Italian Olympic panel chief - Aug 14, 2012
- 13 killed in road accident in Jammu - May 30, 2012
- Santa Claus is dishonest, says Turkish imam - Dec 29, 2011
- Five more bodies found on wrecked Italian ship - Jan 18, 2012
- 16 Amarnath devotees killed as truck falls into gorge (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Bihar doctors get legal shield against attacks - Jul 19, 2011
Tags: abutting, alpine valleys, beeline, corriere della sera, crevasses, daily telegraph, deaths, deep gorges, forests, lombardy region, london, northern italy, pastime, picking mushrooms, rescuer, rocky slope, trentino alto adige, wild mushrooms