17 state-run firms to invest Rs.140,000 crore: PMJanuary 31st, 2012 - 10:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 31 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Tuesday said 17 central public sector undertakings (CPSUs) will invest Rs.140,000 crore in the coming year.
“I am extremely happy to learn that 17 of our largest CPSUs have committed to investment plans amounting to Rs.140,000 crore in the coming year,” he said, addressing a function here.
“Public investment is particularly needed at a time, when the country is facing a difficult global environment, and looking to domestic drivers of growth,” the prime minister said, adding that he would encourage the CPSU to also boost capital investments.
Investment from CPSUs is mainly concentrated in manufacturing, mining, electricity and services sector.
Manmohan Singh said that the country’s mining sector should step up production of coal, petroleum and natural gas as the cost of importing these minerals have shot up.
“We must step up our performance in mining, particularly in the production of coal, petroleum and natural gas,” he said.
The prime minister urged CPSUs in the mining sector to explore opportunities for acquiring foreign mineral assets as recently a proposal for acquisition of raw material assets abroad had been approved by the cabinet.
He also emphasised the need to expand the share of manufacturing sector in the country’s gross domestic product (GDP) which currently stands at 15 percent.
“I would urge the CPSEs (central public sector enterprises) in these (manufacturing) areas to embark upon ambitious plans of expansion to make the target of 12 to 14 percent growth in the manufacturing sector a living reality,” he said.
The prime minister also stressed that the CPSEs need to focus on good corporate governance, strategic planning, innovation, research and development (R&D;) and greater attention to quality control for staying competitive.
- Coal India to invest Rs.40,000 crore in 12th Plan - Sep 12, 2012
- Coal Minister invites foreign investment - Aug 03, 2012
- Coal India achieves near-target performance - Sep 05, 2012
- PPPs to boost infrastructure industry: Economic Survey - Mar 15, 2012
- FICCI calls for radical policy reforms in energy sector - May 07, 2012
- Coal shortage could hit hard power projects - Oct 09, 2011
- Mineral output slumps 14.5 percent in April - Jul 04, 2011
- Over Rs.61,600 crore in net worth of public sector firms eroded - Aug 18, 2011
- Consensus on commercial mining of coal to be evolved - Apr 28, 2011
- Indian economy to grow by 6.9 percent this fiscal (Lead) - Feb 07, 2012
- 30 coal blocks start production out of 195 allocated - Aug 13, 2012
- IMG deallocates 8th coal block, Plan panel for privatising mining - Sep 18, 2012
- Government seeks private funding for infrastructure development in 12th Plan - Feb 21, 2011
- India may face 200 mn tonnes coal shortage - Sep 21, 2011
- 39 sick PSEs revived, making profit - Aug 19, 2010
Tags: ambitious plans, capital investments, cpsu, global environment, good corporate governance, gross domestic product, innovation research, manmohan, manmohan singh, manufacturing sector, material assets, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, public investment, public sector enterprises, public sector undertakings, raw material, s gross, strategic planning, target