160,000 taxi, autorickshaw drivers on strike in MumbaiOctober 16th, 2008 - 5:11 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Oct 16 (IANS) Nearly 55,000 cabs and 105,000 autorickshaws went off the roads in here Thursday to protest the Maharashtra government move to phase out old vehicles.According to Bombay Autorickshawmen Union secretary Anil Sawant, the state government last month abruptly issued orders cancelling the licences of nearly 15,000 cabs, which were more than 25 years old to cut down pollution. The vehicles have to be phased out by Dec 4.
There is now a proposal to cancel licences of nearly 65,000 autorickshaws, which are more than eight years old, he said.
Sawant said that while the cabbies are not opposed to the phasing out of old vehicles, they needed time and financial help from the state government to comply with the requirements.
Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh has convened a delegation of leaders of various unions later Thursday to find a solution to the issue.
In the meantime, Mumbai commuters, office-goers, school and college students took it in their stride by patiently queuing up for the BEST public buses.
Some shared private cars to reach their places of work from the distant suburbs to the various commercial hubs around the city.
Some of those on strike damaged around half a dozen taxis which ventured on to the roads despite the strike call, according to Bombay Taximen’s Associaton secretary M.N. Tiwari.
The Mumbai International Airport Ltd (MIAL), to minimise inconvenience caused to air passengers, deployed courtesy coaches from the airport to the Andheri railway station, a spokesman said.
- Mumbai autorickshaws on strike for fare hike - Jun 22, 2010
- High aircraft parking charges at Mumbai flayed - Jul 13, 2012
- Auto fares hiked after flash strike in Mumbai (Lead) - Jun 22, 2010
- Now, cabbies, maids can learn while they earn - Mar 05, 2012
- Auto strike hits hard Mumbai suburban commuters - Apr 16, 2012
- Shiv Sena, MNS shutdowns in Raigad, Thane - Mar 29, 2012
- Auto strike cripples Delhi; unions refuse to budge - May 20, 2011
- Mixed response to strike in Maharashtra - Sep 07, 2010
- Telangana strike paralyses transport services - Sep 19, 2011
- Commuting by CNG driven autos, taxis to cost dearly in Mumbai - Jun 22, 2010
- Women at wheel: New face of Delhi's public transport (With Image) (March 8 is International Women's Day) - Mar 08, 2011
- Autorickshaw users expect smooth ride after court order - Nov 12, 2011
- Mumbai autorickshaw drivers divided on strike - Apr 15, 2012
- Telangana remains shut for second day - Jul 06, 2011
- Fog grips Delhi; air, rail traffic hit (Lead) - Jan 20, 2012