15 percent of world trade should be Chinese: MinisterMay 8th, 2012 - 3:33 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, May 8 (IANS) As the second-largest economy and with a fifth of the world’s population, China should account for 15 percent of global trade volume, Minister of Commerce Chen Deming said.
“China’s population accounts for 19 percent of the global population while its current trade volume is only 10.4 percent of that of the world, so it will be totally fine for China’s trade to be 15 percent of the world’s,” Chen said at an economic meeting held in China’s Jiangsu province Monday.
China’s trade in 2012 is more balanced than in 2011, with trade surplus accounting for a mere 2.8 percent of the national gross domestic product in the first few months of the year, Xinhua quoted Chen as saying.
The commerce minister said that, given the current economic difficulties worldwide, global economic development is on a slow track and economic recovery is in a turbulent and uncertain period, so China’s stable growth will be a positive contribution to the world.
“For China’s economy to change from a relatively fast development speed to a comparatively slower and more stable speed is highly possible,” Chen said.
In the next decade, China will continue to open up, so as to promote development, reform and innovation and put economic growth in terms of domestic consumption and export on an equal footing, Chen said.
- BRICS countries mull joint development bank - Mar 28, 2012
- 'China trade surplus to decrease further' - Mar 08, 2011
- BRICS countries' ministers hold meeting - Apr 13, 2011
- BRICS Summit: China agrees to prioritise import of more value-added products from India, Brazil - Apr 13, 2011
- China warns of grim foreign trade situation - Oct 19, 2011
- Extremely unreasonable for Russia to be excluded from WTO: China - Apr 14, 2011
- World economic recovery uneven, says Chinese Trade Minister - Apr 13, 2011
- BRICS worried over global economy uncertainty, vow to enhance coordination - Apr 13, 2011
- China's foreign trade to slow to 7 percent (Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- China's foreign trade to top $3 trillion this year: Official - Oct 28, 2011
- Unbalanced recovery better than balanced recession: China - Nov 21, 2011
- G20 must ensure economic growth: Chinese president - Nov 02, 2011
- China's GDP growth to hit 8.5 percent this year: ADB (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- China's foreign trade growth slows in November - Dec 11, 2011
- China may see 10 percent foreign trade growth - Jun 11, 2012
Tags: chinese minister, commerce minister, deming, development speed, domestic consumption, economic difficulties, economic recovery, global economic development, global population, global trade, gross domestic product, jiangsu province, minister of commerce, months of the year, population accounts, s chen, stable growth, trade surplus, trade volume, xinhua