12th Five Year Plan to focus on health: PMAugust 15th, 2011 - 9:58 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 15 (IANS) The government will lay emphasis on health in the 12th Five Year Plan (2012-17) and funds will not be a constraint in the areas of education and health, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said Monday.
“I have often referred to the 11th Five Year Plan as an education plan. We will lay the same emphasis on health in the 12th plan as we laid on education in the 11th plan. I will propose to the National Development Council that the 12th plan should be specially focused on health,” the prime minister said in his Independence Day speech.
He promised that funds will not be a constraint in the important areas of education and health.
Emphasising on increasing the ambit of health insurance to workers in the unorganised sector, Manmohan Singh said: “For a long time our country had no facility for health insurance for workers in the unorganised sector. In 2008, we began the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana for workers in the unorganised sector who are below the poverty line.
“In the last year we have covered those getting employment under Mahatma Gandhi Rural Employment Act and also domestic workers, street vendors and beedi workers under this scheme.
“Today, the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana covers about 2 crore 50 lakh workers. Our government will endeavour to cover as many unorganised sector workers as possible under this scheme,” Manmohan Singh said.
He also expressed concern over malnutrition among women and children in the country.
“We have taken a number of steps to tackle this problem, including two new schemes. We have also decided that we will start implementing an improved Integrated Child Development Services Scheme within the next six months so that the problem of malnutrition in children can be effectively addressed,” he added.
- Now, workers in unorganised sector under health insurance scheme - Jan 12, 2012
- Cashless health insurance for 4.75 mn domestic workers - Jun 23, 2011
- Text of PM'S Independence Day Speech - Aug 15, 2011
- Government health insurance to cover beedi workers - Mar 15, 2012
- Medical insurance for 55 lakh beedi workers - Jun 09, 2011
- National Advisory Council reviews its progress - Jul 06, 2012
- Why no social security for unorganised workers, NAC asks government - Apr 30, 2012
- Cabinet okays Rs.1,000 crore fund for unorganised workers - Jul 28, 2011
- Max Bupa bids for state health insurance in three states - Oct 18, 2011
- 20 percent hike in health budget - Feb 28, 2011
- India's health budget goes up by 20 percent (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- New ULIP norms will build investor confidence: Pranab - Sep 01, 2010
- Bihar assembly committee to probe 'health scam' - Aug 09, 2012
- Key cabinet decisions of 2011 (2011 in Retrospect) - Dec 27, 2011
- Over 14.5 million covered under social security programme - Nov 29, 2010
Tags: ambit, child development services, constraint, education plan, emphasising, employment act, five year plan, health insurance, lakh, mahatma gandhi, malnutrition in children, manmohan, manmohan singh, poverty line, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sector workers, street vendors, unorganised sector, yojana