12 British banks downgraded by Moody’sOctober 7th, 2011 - 5:21 pm ICT by IANS
London, Oct 7 (IANS) The rating service Moody’s Friday downgraded its credit ratings of 12 British banks, including state-owned Royal Bank of Scotland and Lloyds TSB.
“Moody’s Investors Service has today downgraded the senior debt and deposit ratings of 12 UK financial institutions and confirmed the ratings of one institution,” the agency said in a statement.
Moody’s said it chose to downgrade a dozen British banks as it believed government action had “significantly reduced the predictability of support over the medium to long-term”, reported Xinhua.
Manthos Delis, senior lecturer in banking at Cass Business School believed the reaction of Moody’s seems reasonable “in light of talks for not raising the burden on taxpayers even further by a potential bailout”.
Moody’s, or any other rating agency’s main concern, should be “the strength of bank portfolios, which, for the moment, seems to be in good shape”, he said.
Bank shares sharply fell after the downgrade, with Royal Bank of Scotland and Lloyds both seeing their stocks down by over 3 percent.
- S&P; slashes top US banks' credit ratings - Nov 30, 2011
- Fitch downgrades three European banks ratings - Oct 14, 2011
- Moody's downgrades LIC, outlook stable - May 14, 2012
- Fitch downgrades Spain's two major banks - Jun 12, 2012
- Moody's cuts credit ratings of 16 Spanish banks - May 19, 2012
- Moody's downgrades 13 Italian banks - Jul 17, 2012
- Moody's downgrades ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, Axis Bank - May 14, 2012
- Lloyds India operations head quits over fraud charges - Sep 11, 2010
- US stocks rally led by banks - Jun 23, 2012
- Moody's to now review India's sovereign ratings - Nov 12, 2011
- Moody's downgrades Indian banks, stocks tumble - Nov 09, 2011
- British bank chief's high bonus criticized (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Moody's places US debt rating on review - Jul 14, 2011
- Moody's cuts Hungary's rating with negative outlook - Nov 25, 2011
- Moody's downgrades Italy debt rating - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: bailout, bank of scotland, british banks, business school, financial institutions, good shape, government action, investors service, lloyds tsb, london, oct 7, portfolios, predictability, royal bank of scotland, senior debt, senior lecturer, stocks, taxpayers, xinhua