100,000 skilled workers to join tourism sectorJuly 5th, 2012 - 5:44 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 4 (IANS) A lakh (100,000) skilled workers trained under the tourism ministry’s “Hunar Se Rozgar Tak” scheme will soon be joining the hospitality and tourism industry, Union Minister of Tourism Subodh Kant Sahai said Wednesday.
Speaking on the sidelines of a workshop to promote the initiative, Sahai said: “One lakh skilled workers would soon be joining the hospitality and tourism sector.”
The workshop was attended by state tourism development corporations.
“Fifty thousand of the workers would be trained by the state tourism boards and the rest 50, 000 would be trained by us,” added Sahai.
The Tourism Ministry launched the initiative in 2009 to create employable skills in underprivileged youth who have a minimum qualification of being educated till eighth grade and are between the age of 18-28. The initiative was taken to bridge the gap of skilled manpower in the hospitality sector.
The ministry aims to train 2.5 crore people to get jobs in the tourism sector during the 12th Plan period (2012-17).
“The tourism industry has a shortage of skilled workers and this initiative is successfully generating employment and also empowering the youth,” said Sahai.
‘Hunar Se Rozgar’ initially covered only two trades - food and beverage service and food production. However, housekeeping, bakery, driving, heritage conservation were added later.
- Tourism minister presents awards for excellence in hospitality education - Mar 24, 2011
- Tourism ministry to impart driving skills - Sep 14, 2011
- Tourism ministry steps up promotion campaign (With Image) - Dec 14, 2011
- Tourism promotion course has many takers in Kashmir - Mar 02, 2010
- India targets one percent global tourist arrivals - Jul 05, 2012
- Tourism sector to create 2.5 crore more jobs - Apr 04, 2012
- Tourism Ministers conference to kick off in Rishikesh tomorrow - Apr 20, 2011
- Focus on tourism's job opportunities, says minister - Mar 18, 2011
- Take all steps for tourists' security against crime, says Kumari Selja - Mar 06, 2010
- Tourism ministry plans more hotel management institutes - Aug 17, 2009
- Tourism should be part of political agenda: Sahai - Jul 06, 2012
- Nine states to discuss tourism promotion - Apr 20, 2011
- Southern states' tourism ministers meet in Kerala - Aug 19, 2011
- Subodh Kant Sahai calls for more thrust on domestic tourism - Mar 14, 2011
- Over Rs.79 lakh for teaching northeast youth managerial skills - May 26, 2011
Tags: development corporations, food and beverage service, heritage conservation, hospitality sector, lakh, minimum qualification, minister of tourism, plan period, sahai, skilled manpower, skilled workers, state tourism, subodh, tourism boards, tourism development, tourism industry, tourism ministry, tourism sector, underprivileged youth, union minister