10 Maruti union leaders arrestedAugust 1st, 2012 - 10:45 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, Aug 1 (IANS) Ten Maruti Suzuki union leaders were arrested Wednesday for their alleged role in the July 18 violence at the company’s Manesar plant that led to the death of a senior executive, police said.
“The accused will be produced in a court Thursday,” Haryana Director General of Police Ranjeev Singh Dalal told reporters here.
With this, all the 12 members of the car company’s labour union, accused of instigating other workers to indulge in violence, have been arrested.
The other two office-bearers of the union were arrested earlier.
The total number of people held in the case now stands at 114.
Those arrested Wednesday include Sandeep Dhillon (union’s patron), Rammehar Singh (president), Sohan Singh (vice president), Sarvjeet Singh (general secretary), Suresh Kumar, Ajmer Singh, Pawan Kumar, Ram Bilas, Amarjeet and Pradeep Kumar.
The two others leaders held earlier are Yogesh Yadav and Dhanraj Bhambi.
Three other accused, Manoj, Narender and Narender, were held Tuesday.
Dalal said special police teams were constituted to arrest the accused. They conducted raids in Haridwar (Uttarakhand), Ranchi (Jharkhand), Rajasthan and Haryana.
Maruti’s senior executive Awanish Kumar Dev was killed and nearly 100 people were injured after the workers went on a rampage. The plant has shut down operations after the incident.
Dalal said the Haryana government had decided to deploy a dedicated battalion in Manesar headed by IPS officer Yogender Nehra as the commandant.
He said the Haryana Police battalion which passed out July 21 would be deployed in Manesar to maintain law and order in the town.
He also said that talks were going on between the police and Haryana State Industrial and Infrastructure Development Corporation for providing 10 acres of land to house the new battalion.
- Police to question 10 Maruti union leaders for a week - Aug 02, 2012
- Maruti incident will not hamper investments in Harayana: Hooda - Aug 05, 2012
- Haryana to post police battalion in Manesar - Aug 01, 2012
- SIT to probe fresh violence in Maruti Manesar plant (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- SIT to probe Maruti's fresh violence - Jul 19, 2012
- Trade unions demand end of Maruti lockout, CBI probe - Aug 04, 2012
- Mahapanchayat demands CBI probe into Maruti violence - Jul 23, 2012
- Maruti management thanks locals for support - Aug 16, 2012
- 'Police did not intervene in July 18 violence' - Jul 31, 2012
- Haryana to recruit 11,000 constables - Sep 10, 2012
- 'Maruti executive paid for another officer's remarks' - Jul 27, 2012
- Trade unions to march in support of Maruti workers - Aug 16, 2012
- 'Slain Maruti official had offered to quit' - Jul 24, 2012
- Maruti worker sent to police custody for 5 days - Aug 16, 2012
- Maruti violence may be planned: cops - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,