‘West Bengal should have bought land in the 1950s, 60s’November 20th, 2008 - 12:10 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 19 (IANS) West Bengal could have avoided the present land problem it was facing in setting up industries if only it had purchased land in the 1950s and 1960s like Gujarat, a top bureaucrat said Wednesday. “The Gujarat government had purchased land for industries beside the highways way back in the 1950s and 60s. Had we then invested for buying land, now things would have been easier,” West Bengal Industry Secretary Sabyasachi Sen said here.
Continuing on the land problem, that forced Tata Motors to shift its Nano small car plant out of the state, Sen told newspersons that extra efforts would have to be made to convince landowners of the benefits that would accrue to them if they part with their lands.
“The landowners are not sure about the proper price of their land. There is a genuine anxiety on how they will benefit from the project. We have to be definite and more specific when we try to convince them of the benefits,” Sen said.
Talking about the Halida port, which has a problem of siltation, Sen said it would be overcome by next month through dredging.
- Bihar mulls 'private land bank' to woo investors - Feb 15, 2012
- Assocham for state's role in land acquisition for industry - Oct 09, 2011
- Mamata's railway measures to boost West Bengal economy - Feb 25, 2011
- West Bengal government to provide land for industries - Jun 12, 2012
- CPI-M leader keeps away from his 'Occupy Singur' movement - Jul 03, 2012
- Bengal woos industry amid mismanagement taint (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jan 15, 2012
- No more forced land acquisition, says Buddhadeb - Mar 27, 2011
- Mamata sets up core group on industrialisation - Jun 18, 2011
- No victors in Singur: Amartya Sen - Aug 06, 2009
- NRIs want Mamata to bring industry back to Bengal - May 14, 2011
- Battle-scarred Bengal industry seeks poll relief - Mar 11, 2011
- West Bengal moves apex court on Singur land law - Aug 07, 2012
- Farmers jubilant, but Mamata government has long haul ahead - Jun 27, 2011
- Haryana approves land pooling scheme for farmers - Jul 20, 2012
- Question mark over Mamata's democracy, investment promises (West Bengal Newsletter) - Aug 25, 2012