Writer J.G. Ballard dies at 78April 20th, 2009 - 5:11 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
The writer J.G. Ballard, best known for the autobiographical novel ‘Empire Of The Sun,’ which drew on his childhood detention in a Japanese prison camp in China, died on Sunday, his agent said.
Mr Ballard was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2006. He had been ill ‘for several years,’ his agent Margaret Hanbury said in a statement announcing his death on Sunday, but she did not give the cause of death. It was not immediately clear where he died.
‘His acute and visionary observation of contemporary life was distilled into a number of brilliant, powerful novels which have been published all over the world and saw Mr Ballard gain cult status,’ Ms Hanbury said.
Mr Ballard was born in Shanghai, China, and was interned there in a prison camp by Japanese troops in 1941 - an experience he drew on in the 1984 novel ‘Empire of The Sun,’ later adapted as a film by US director Steven Spielberg.
The writer moved to Britain in 1946, where he lived until his death.
Mr Ballard was sometimes controversial. His 1973 novel ‘Crash,’ which explored contentious themes about people who derive pleasure from car accidents, was transposed into film by David Cronenberg in 1996.
- Novelist JG Ballard dies at 78 - Apr 20, 2009
- Remains of Hitler's deputy to be destroyed - Jul 21, 2011
- China mourns death of Indian doctor's wife - Jun 29, 2012
- Music, calligraphy, poetry in Vikram Seth's new work - Mar 17, 2012
- Oldest survivor of Bataan death march dies - Aug 16, 2011
- Opening up a treasure trove of Punjabi literature - Feb 22, 2012
- Robert Pattinson bags lead role in David Cronenberg's 'Cosmopolis' - Jan 07, 2011
- Robert Pattinson Is On Cloud Nine With His Latest 'Cosmopolis' - Jan 06, 2011
- Knightely to play Pattinson's love interest in 'Cosmopolis' - Jan 26, 2011
- Churchill's policies led to Bengal famine: Writer - Dec 20, 2010
- Steven Spielberg says he has fallen for England's natural beauty - Oct 28, 2010
- Singapore honours Nehru as friend, visionary - Nov 20, 2011
- Jane Austen fans celebrating Colin Firth's triumph - Jan 30, 2011
- It needs more than love to write about India - Aug 18, 2011
- Nazi medical tools to be auctioned - Feb 08, 2012
Tags: 1941, autobiographical novel, car accidents, cause of death, cult status, david cronenberg, director steven spielberg, empire of the sun, hanbury, j g ballard, japanese prison camp, japanese troops, novel crash, novels, observation, pleasure, prostate cancer, shanghai china, steven spielberg