The Tenth Muse: My Life in FoodNovember 1st, 2008 - 8:36 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
Written by Judith Jones. Jones writes about her years when she edited some of America’s most important cookbooks. Judith proved herself a master of both in her memoir The Tenth Muse: My Life in Food. The buds of these twin talents emerged her in 1948 Paris, In her summer holiday she became a three-year stay full of romantic charm ; shopping in open-air markets, securing a job in publishing, learning French, and marrying Evan Jones, her former boss.
Jones re-settled in New York where they strove to maintain their European palates despite the limited offerings of supermarkets and it was an opportunity Tfor her when many American recipes required a can opener but a change occurred in American kitchens.
Cookbooks began to appear on Jones’s editing desk at Knopf, including “a huge manuscript on French cooking” by three unknown women. One of those women turned out to be Julia Child and the manuscript became “Mastering the Art of French Cooking.” Scores of other partnerships with cooks and chefs followed as Jones helped to establish Edna Lewis, Marion Cunningham, and James Beard, along with the other side names used.
Longstanding cookbooks with the European influenced experiences to a new clarity that she sought out cooks who knew how to add flavor to a dish using fresh ingredients.
She shares recipes and tips from her mentors and encourages all to improvise.
- 'Experienced and confident cook' Marilyn Monroe's stuffing recipe revealed - Nov 13, 2010
- Switch to olive oil for better health: Cookery expert Nita Mehta (With Image) - Jan 08, 2012
- Gordon Ramsay's cookbook named worst of 2010 for unhealthy recipes - Dec 21, 2010
- Spit roasts to kofta, tuck into festive feasts in Delhi - Dec 24, 2010
- Lost Charlotte Bronte story published for the first time - Feb 29, 2012
- Twitter cookbook set to hit the shelves - Sep 15, 2010
- On cart: Economy, sports, food & drama (IANS books this week) - Apr 28, 2012
- Jyoti Basu loved pasta, says grand-daughter and gourmet author - Jul 25, 2010
- Dr Oz Convinces Paula Dean to Stop Smoking, Cook Healthier - Oct 12, 2011
- Eva Longoria 'pops out of her plunging jacket' during cookbook promo - Apr 08, 2011
- 'No secrets in kitchen' is celebrity Indian chef's mantra - May 08, 2012
- Sheryl Crow releasing cookbook - Dec 08, 2010
- Rachael Ray: Poppy Montgomery & Linda Evans - Oct 18, 2011
- I would never use marriage trouble to sell cookbook, says Eva Longoria - Apr 06, 2011
- Insider 'cooks' gave Indian-American 'recipes' for 'sugar' - Jun 14, 2011
Tags: american kitchens, american recipes, buds, can opener, cookbooks, edna lewis, evan jones, james beard, judith jones, julia child, learning french, marion cunningham, mastering the art of french cooking, memoir, one of those women, open air markets, palates, romantic charm, summer holiday, tenth muse