Rabindranath Tagore’s birth anniversary celebratedMay 9th, 2009 - 8:39 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 9 (IANS) The 149th birth anniversary of Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore was celebrated Saturday amid great enthusiasm across West Bengal with renderings of songs and poems composed by him.
Tagore, the first Asian to win the Nobel prize for literature, in 1913, for his collection of poems “Gitanjali”, was born at Jorasanko in the northern part of the city on this day in 1861.
Since dawn, hundreds of people lined up before Tagore’s ancestral house at Jorasanko, now housing the Rabindrabharati University. As in earlier years, the authorities threw open to the public the room where Tagore was born, and eminent singers and elocutionists sang, read and recited his works in the courtyard.
But the biggest draw for the people was Santiniketan, a seat of learning founded by the poet in Birbhum district, where the day was celebrated through recitals and cultural soirees.
Functions were organised by schools, colleges, universities, clubs, voluntary organisations to remember the versatile genius who delved with aplomb into plays, novels, short stories, dance dramas, essays on all perceivable human emotions which earned him the sobriquet ‘Biswakabi’, or the world poet.
In Kolkata, the state government organised a dawn-to-noon function at Rabindra Sadan, with a large number of people assembling to hear renowned singers and poets.
The newspapers brought out special pages, while television channels and radio stations broadcast programmes remembering Tagore who till today is popular among people in the subcontinent, and in other parts of the globe.
Deciding to make hay while the sun shines, the Trinamool Congress brought out a big procession in support of their candidate from the Kolkata South constituency with youths singing Tagore songs. There were no political slogans, but a tableau urged voters to support party chief Mamata Banerjee.
- West Bengal celebrates Tagore's 150th birth anniversary - May 09, 2011
- Tagore's birth anniversary celebrated across Bengal - May 08, 2012
- Life of Rabindranath Tagore at a glance - May 08, 2011
- Tagore's 150th birth anniversary celebrations begin (Lead) - May 09, 2010
- West Bengal salutes Tagore on his birth anniversary - May 09, 2010
- For Bengalis, Tagore still the man for all seasons - May 07, 2011
- Bengal pays tributes to Tagore, Mamata hums poet's songs (Lead) - Aug 09, 2011
- Bengal pays homage to Tagore, Mamata hums poet's songs - Aug 08, 2011
- Marches kick off Tagore's 150th anniversary celebrations - May 08, 2010
- Life and times of Rabindranath Tagore - May 09, 2010
- Delhi to host a spread of Tagore's works Sunday - May 08, 2010
- Lata ushers in Tagore anniversary tribute - Aug 07, 2011
- First Nepali 'Gitanjali' to be re-launched (With Images) - May 06, 2011
- Exhibition train to mark Tagore's 150th birth anniversary - May 06, 2010
- Artists from across India to pay homage to Tagore (Lead) - Jul 18, 2010
Tags: aplomb, birth anniversary, collection of poems, dance dramas, human emotions, nobel laureate, nobel prize for literature, parts of the globe, party chief, political slogans, rabindrabharati university, rabindranath tagore, sadan, sobriquet, tagore songs, television channels, trinamool congress, versatile genius, voluntary organisations, west bengal