New Zealand climber slams Jeffrey Archer over Everest claimMarch 15th, 2009 - 7:31 am ICT by IANS
Wellington, March 15 (DPA) A New Zealand mountaineer has criticised a claim by author Jeffrey Archer in a new book that a British climber conquered Mount Everest years before Sir Edmund Hillary, a newspaper reported Sunday.
Archer’s book, Paths of Glory, is a fictionalised account of the life of George Mallory, who died on Everest in 1924, 29 years before Hillary climbed the world’s tallest peak with Nepali Sherpa Tenzing Norgay.
Hillary, who died last year, remains a national hero in New Zealand, and a report about the book appeared on the front page of the Sunday Star-Times under the headline, “Jeffrey Archer’s Insult to Sir Ed”.
A secondary headline read, “He’s a failed politician and a convicted liar - and now Jeffrey Archer is making the absurd claim that Kiwi icon Sir Edmund Hillary wasn’t the first man to conquer Mount Everest.”
The paper quoted Graeme Dingle, a fellow mountaineer and friend of Sir Ed, as saying: “He’s dreaming. There’s essentially no chance Mallory got to the top.”
Dingle said Archer was reflecting wounded English pride at having been beaten by a colonial: “The English were desperate to get to the top, and they didn’t get there, even in 1953. I think the English are pretty sensitive about it.”
- Seven New Zealand locations short-listed for Sir Edmund's honour - Apr 24, 2010
- New Zealand's highest peak may be named after Everest conqueror Edmund Hillary - Aug 05, 2010
- Jeffrey Archer takes swipe at Sir Edmund Hillary - Mar 15, 2009
- Everest's biggest mystery solved - Aug 09, 2010
- Mount Everest's biggest mystery 'solved' - Sep 12, 2010
- Oz actor Peter Finchs dad could have been first man on Mt. Everest in 1924 - Feb 20, 2009
- Indians among top Everest conquerors - Jul 15, 2011
- Australian climber hopes to solve great Everest mystery - May 18, 2010
- Everest to be Edmund Hillary's last resting place - Apr 01, 2010
- Nepali runner wins world's highest marathon race - May 29, 2012
- Mamata Banerjee gets towering gifts - from the Himalayas - May 21, 2011
- Everest superstar eyes 20th summit - Mar 12, 2010
- Documentary sheds new light on Everest mystery - Sep 21, 2010
- Briton seeks to clear dead Indian heroes' Everest record - Jun 25, 2010
- (VM) Indian Army women's team to scale Mount Everest - Mar 12, 2012
Tags: british climber, first man, front page, george mallory, insult, jeffrey archer, kiwi, liar, mount everest, mountaineer, national hero, new zealand, paths of glory, politician, pride, sherpa tenzing norgay, sir edmund hillary, slams, sunday star times, wellington