New Book Chrysler’s Turbine Car Says Bureaucracy Killed American TriumphOctober 15th, 2010 - 12:13 am ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Oct 14 (THAINDIAN NEWS) In 1953, the Chrysler Corporation quietly built a successful jet powered car. No on in America new about it, not even people within the company new about it, the project was kept very “hush hush”.
In December of that year, George Huebner Jr and a few of his colleagues rolled the top secret jet engined car out of the garage of the Highland Michigan plant. It was a 1954 Plymouth Belvedere. The car seemed normal enough, until they cranked it up. It was then that the jet engine sounds gave it away.
This jet propelled car could have been one of America’s finest engineering triumphs, according to a new book written by Steve Lehto entitled ‘Chrysler’s Turbine Car’, ‘The Rise and Fall of Detroit’s Coolest Creation’. The author explains how bureaucracy killed the project, and perhaps contributed to the downward slump of America’s dependence on other countries for oil.
See the video embedded below for a glimpse at this amazing car.
- Clint Eastwood sizzles in SuperBowl's Chrysler ad - Feb 07, 2012
- Chrysler sales jump - Mar 02, 2012
- Super Bowl Winners: Packers & Mini Darth Vader Commercial - Feb 07, 2011
- Chryslers full dealerships closing list - May 15, 2009
- Sailen Manna - Factfile - Feb 27, 2012
- Car exhaust fumes kill Chinese couple - Aug 08, 2011
- NHTSA Is Exploring Chrysler's Dodge Pedal Dilemma - May 04, 2010
- Chrysler plant in Mexico to build Fiat subcompact - Mar 09, 2011
- Terrafugia Transition gets US approval - Jul 19, 2011
- Chrysler repays $5.1 billion in TARP loans - May 25, 2011
- Michigan man stabs Chrysler Group co-worker to death before killing self - Sep 22, 2012
- Wind turbine produces water out of thin air - May 01, 2012
- 'Tum mujhe yun bhula na paoge': Shammi Kapoor's filmography - Aug 14, 2011
- Making wind-turbines more efficient - Nov 22, 2010
- Hyderabad to host VLSI design conference in January - Sep 27, 2011
Tags: 1954 plymouth belvedere, bureaucracy, chrysler, chrysler corporation, colleagues, dependence, engine sounds, glimpse, highland michigan, huebner, hush hush, jet engine, jet powered car, michigan plant, rise and fall, slump, triumph, triumphs, turbine car