Marshal of IAF Arjan Singh’s biography releasedApril 15th, 2009 - 11:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 15 (IANS) “The Icon”, a biography of Marshal of the Indian Air Force Arjan Singh, was released on his 91st birthday Wednesday, even as a demand was made to confer the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian award, on him.
The former IAF chief had played a stellar role in India’s decisive victory in the 1965 war against Pakistan.
Walking down memory lane, Arjan Singh told the gathering: “I called my squadron ‘the number one squadron’ because whenever they fought, they fight like tigers.”
Speaking on the occasion, former foreign secretary M.K.Rasgotra said: “Wisdom may dawn upon the political fraternity and they must confer the Bharat Ratna on him”.
No Indian armed forces’ officer has thus far been conferred the Bharat Ratna. Some have, however, been conferred the Padma Vibhushan, the country’s second highest civilian honour.
IAF chief Air Chief Marshal Fali Homi Major released Arjan Singh’s biography.
- Mario Miranda, Bhupen Hazarika in Padma honours list (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- Brajesh Mishra, Montek amongst 128 Padma awardees - Jan 25, 2011
- Home ministry backs Bharat Ratna for sportspersons - Jul 23, 2011
- Pallam Raju inaugurates third edition of 'Jumbo' Majumdar International Conference - Feb 03, 2011
- No Bharat Ratna, just six Padma Shris for sportspersons - Jan 25, 2012
- Bharat Ratna Bhimsen Joshi passes away - Jan 24, 2011
- Brajesh Mishra, Azim Premji, Montek in list of 128 Padma awardees (Intro Roundup) - Jan 25, 2011
- BJP supports demand to confer 'Bharat Ratna' to Sachin - Apr 05, 2011
- Kakodkar chosen for Maharashtra Bhushan Award - Apr 26, 2012
- India's first field marshal Sam Manekshaw remembered - Apr 03, 2012
- Air Marshal Kumaria on a two-day visit to Air Force Station Chandigarh - Mar 01, 2011
- IAF Sukhoi squadron gets President's Standard - Mar 06, 2012
- Marshal of the Air Force Arjan Singh to turn 90 on Wednesday - Apr 14, 2009
- Group Captain Tendulkar now part of Indian Air Force - Sep 03, 2010
- Bhupen Hazarika conferred Padma Vibhushan posthumously - Mar 22, 2012
Tags: air chief marshal, arjan singh, bharat ratna, decisive victory, fali homi major, fraternity, homi, honour, iaf, India, indian air force, indian armed forces, memory lane, New Delhi, padma vibhushan, pakistan, squadron, stellar role, tigers, wisdom