Howard Jacobson Wins Man Booker For ‘The Finkler Question’October 13th, 2010 - 7:48 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Oct 13, (THAINDIAN NEWS) British author Howard Jacobson received the prestigious Man Booker award for his comic novel ‘The Finkler Question’. The win came as a surprise to many as bookmakers had almost written off the chances of his novel winning the most prestigious of the English speaking world’s literary awards. At 1/10, ‘The Finkler’s Question’ was a rank outsider, with the favorite being Tom McCarthy’s ‘C’.
Howard Jacobson said that he was flabbergasted at the news of him winning the Man Booker. He said that he was tired of being called the underrated author. The British author specializes in the plight of the Jewish people of today. He said in an interview that he wanted to make people laugh and cry at the same time. Some critics said that though his novel was a comic one, it had elements of darkness and tragedy. Poet Laureate and chairman of the judges that decided the Man Booker for the year described Howard Jacobson’s ‘The Finkler Question’ as funny but nearly adjacent to tragedy. He also added that it was very clever, very subtle and the deserving winner of the great prize.
Though Howard Jacobson has been writing for the last 27 years, he felt he would never win the honor in his lifetime. Apart from the $80,000 cheque that comes alongside the honor, Howard Jacobson will also see a huge soar in the sales of his novel. The novel tells the story of two friends Libor and Sam who are widowers. In their struggle for identity and coping of loss they also end up raising some profound spiritual and religious questions in the mind of the reader.
- Howard Jacobson Deserves The Booker Prize - Oct 15, 2010
- Howard Jacobson Bags The Booker Prize - Oct 13, 2010
- Booker Prize is like backward shining light on all my works: Howard Jacobson (Interview) - Oct 16, 2010
- Howard Jacobson wins Man Booker Prize (Lead) - Oct 13, 2010
- Penguin announces Man Booker finalists - Sep 08, 2010
- Howard Jacobson wins Man Booker Prize for 'The Finkler Question' - Oct 13, 2010
- 'Tony Blair: A Journey', Booker nominees in bestseller list (IANS Books) - Sep 16, 2010
- I wanted to probe drama of parent-child love: Emma Donoghue (Interview) - Sep 24, 2010
- Eyeing English readers, best-selling foreign authors head to India - Oct 22, 2010
- E-books on the rise with sales of digital books growing 18-fold in 2010 - Mar 01, 2011
- Rohington Mistry shortlisted for Man Booker International Prize - Mar 30, 2011
- Rohinton Mistry shortlisted for Man Booker International Prize (Lead, correcting name in intro) - Mar 30, 2011
- Book from Pakistan is bestseller again (IANS Books) - Oct 21, 2010
- 'Tere Bin Laden' director turns comic book writer - Feb 13, 2012
- US novelist Philip Roth wins Man Booker International Prize - May 18, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,