Chavez’s gift to Obama becomes bestseller overnightApril 19th, 2009 - 9:23 pm ICT by IANS
Port of Spain, April 19 (Xinhua) A book that was presented to US President Barak Obama by Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez at a regional leaders’ summit here, rocketed to bestseller status overnight on the online bookstore Amazon.com.
The “Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent” by Uruguayan writer Eduardo Galeano, was presented to Obama in a friendly gesture by the Venezuelan leader at the Fifth Summit of the Organisation of the Americas (OAS). The book is about Latin America’s colonial past.
The copy had a dedicatory note handwritten by Chavez: “Para Obama con afecto” (To Obama with affection).
The publicity about the gift helped propel its English version from relative obscurity to No.10 on the Amazon.com list of bestsellers. The book also topped Amazon’s “Movers and Shakers” - a list of the biggest gainers in 24 hours.
After receiving the gift Friday, Obama jokingly said he thought it was a book written by Chavez.
When asked by reporters if the encounters with Chavez were paving the way for a meeting, Obama responded: “I think we’re making progress at the summit.”
The book was first published in 1971 and has been reissued in several new editions since then. One of the reviewers of the book described it as a “passionate account of 500 years of Latin American history, written with drama, humor, and compassion”.
- Chavez not the first to discover book that he gave to Obama - Apr 25, 2009
- 'Reader' Obama terms Chavez book gift as 'a nice gesture' - Apr 20, 2009
- Venezuela's Chavez hands over book to Obama with `warm regards' - Apr 19, 2009
- Amazon sells over 4 mn Kindle devices in December - Dec 30, 2011
- Chavez speaks of 'good start' in ties with Obama - Apr 19, 2009
- Amazon launches online bookstore in China - Sep 29, 2011
- Jobs biography Amazon's best-selling book of 2011 - Dec 07, 2011
- Ford Theatre: "Bill Creilly's killing of Lincoln is inaccurate" - Nov 14, 2011
- Sex book with 200 blank pages outsells Harry Potter, The Da Vinci Code! - Mar 15, 2011
- Barack Obama high on Indian bookseller lists - Nov 01, 2010
- Chavez not to attend Americas summit - Apr 15, 2012
- Castro pokes fun at Obama's summit outfit - Apr 10, 2012
- Gadaffi accepts Chavez's mediation offer - Mar 03, 2011
- Latest in Obama's reading list: novel on 9/11, cricket - May 03, 2009
- Chavez in Cuba for another round of cancer treatment - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: afecto, barak obama, biggest gainers, bookstore amazon, eduardo galeano, hugo chavez, latin american history, movers and shakers, online bookstore, open veins of latin america, passionate account, paving the way, pillage, port of spain, president hugo chavez, regional leaders, relative obscurity, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez, xinhua