British scientist Stephen Hawking ‘very ill’ in hospitalApril 20th, 2009 - 11:34 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 20 (DPA) British physicist Stephen Hawking, the world-renowned author of “A Brief History of Time”, was admitted to hospital in the university city of Cambridge Monday where he was described as being “very ill”.
The 67-year-old scientist, who is wheelchair-bound and speaks with the help of a voice synthesiser as a result of motor neurone disease, was taken to hospital for tests.
“Professor Hawking is very ill and has today been taken by ambulance to Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge,” said a University spokesman.
“He is undergoing tests. He has been unwell for a couple of weeks.”
Hawking was born in Oxford where he later read physics at University College Oxford before moving to Cambridge to carry out research in cosmology.
He made a zero-gravity space flight in 2007 and was last seen in public last September.
Hawking worked at Cambridge’s Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics for more than 30 years and since 1979 has been the University’s Lucasian Professor of Mathematics.
- Stephen Hawking set for 'full recovery' after hospital tests - Apr 21, 2009
- Stephen Hawking joins institute set up by BlackBerry - Jun 09, 2010
- Stephen Hawking joins Canada's Perimeter Institute (Lead) - Jun 09, 2010
- Michael Green named as Stephen Hawking's successor at Cambridge University - Oct 21, 2009
- Stephen Hawking joining Canadian institute - Nov 29, 2008
- Stephen Hawking to retire as Cambridges Professor of Mathematics next year - Oct 24, 2008
- Hawking at Paralympics? - Aug 26, 2012
- Stephen Hawking to give up Cambridge chair - Oct 24, 2008
- Indian scientists dismiss reports on 'god particle' - May 01, 2011
- Russian physicist Sergei Kapitsa dies at 84 - Aug 14, 2012
- Stephen Hawking not shifting to Canada - Jul 17, 2008
- Could Large Hadron Collider be world's first time machine? - Mar 16, 2011
- Cambridge scientists synthesize mother of pearl - Jul 25, 2012
- Physicists discover new way to visualize warped space-time - Apr 12, 2011
- Stephen Hawking's take on how aliens might really look - Jul 09, 2010
Tags: brief history of time, british physicist, british scientist, city of cambridge, college oxford, cosmology, history of time, hospital london, last september, lucasian professor of mathematics, motor neurone disease, physicist stephen, renowned author, s hospital, space flight, stephen hawking, theoretical physics, university spokesman, voice synthesiser, zero gravity